flightmedicmb

Aug 17, 2007
2 month old TTR125 gently ridden by my wife but difficult to start lately (not me...the bike), yesterday would not start at all. Changed plug still no go, noticed little resistance to kickstarter. After about 100 kicks bike backfired loudly a couple of times, now kickstarter not moving once you hit area where usually meet initial resistance/compression....it is impossible to move past this point...what gives? Ideas?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
IndyYZ85 said:
sounds like you have a valve issue.. Time to open'er up and have a peek.

Yep...

flightmedicmb

Aug 17, 2007
Opened up and looks like crap. The inside of the head around the valves is beat to hell and back and looks like a metal ping pong bottle was turned loose. It is scratched and pitted some on the intake side but tore slap up and cratered ring around the exhaust side...oh well, anybody got a cylinder head lying around? The piston is covered in metallic dust on the top but is not pitted...wiped off ok...bore is smooth also...oh well, another day in paradise

flightmedicmb

Aug 17, 2007
Poor lighting made me think the piston was ok...it is actually pitted in same place bottom of head is...obviously it had smacked it around quite a bit...anyone help with a cause? Why would the piston be banging the head to death?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Valve clearances too tight. They hang open and hit the piston causing the damage you described. That is also what made it hard to start. If it's only two months old, take it to the dealer, they should be able to do something for you.

Jul 12, 2007
answer to problem

flightmedicmb said:
2 month old TTR125 gently ridden by my wife but difficult to start lately (not me...the bike), yesterday would not start at all. Changed plug still no go, noticed little resistance to kickstarter. After about 100 kicks bike backfired loudly a couple of times, now kickstarter not moving once you hit area where usually meet initial resistance/compression....it is impossible to move past this point...what gives? Ideas?

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
flightmedicmb said:

only 2 months!!! take it back to the dealer - those things have at least a 6 month warranty and i doubt that you rode it enough to need the valves adjusted yet.

Top Bottom