scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Well it was hot. Not as hot as it could've been but still hot.

Before I leave I hear a lot of the crew is bailing on the race. Long drive, high heat, etc etc etc. Thumbs calls on Sat AM. asking "Hey, are you going" I say "yeah, I;m leaving right after I take my kids to see Shrek 2". Turns out he was thinking of not going also, but decided to attend since I was still going. I'm not sure if it was me to ride with or just the points he didn't want to lose to me. Damn point Nazi. :p

We show up around 4PM and are both completely unmotivated. It's hot, we're lazy and the keg is cold. So we wander over for a few cervezas. Around 730, I decide to go putt around on bikes for a while. I brought out my stepchild 250f and the KTM. The 250f hasn't seen the dirt since November. :yikes: I've just liked the KTM that much better. After riding Jokers softer and lower 250Fat an earlier event, I adjusted mine to a trial only, super plush set up. Wow what a difference. It was alot of fun. I was thinking of seling it after this summers mountain riding season, but not any more. :cool:

Back to event. The apps. cooked up by the club were great, Thumbs and I came out completely unpreparred. We planned on sleeping in the back of the trucks. Tator made it out as well, and camped in his new suburban. It was a perfect night for camping outside 90 degrees, a light breeze and a million stars. Which was great since it was almost comical how little we all brought. No fire wood, empty propane bottles. no warm clothes, or toilet paper, I didn't even have a flashlight or the route sheet for the race. I would've forgotton my underwear had I not been wearing it. Between three of us we had some make shift camp. I brought an unbrella for a little shade, Tator had a flashlight. Tony brough a grill with mostly empty propane bottles with just enought left to almost warm some dogs and spaggetti 'Os.

Race time 8AM. We get signed up on minute 8. The overall turn out is kind of light, I optimistically say to Tony "with a light turnout we might place kind of high." he replies "maybe, but it's usually the hardcore fast guys that still make it." :uh:

Well, tha was enough of Thumbs motivation for me and off we went. The speeds were fast for the terrain. Dean had said they laid it out for cooler weather. yeah right!!! It was like a day at the beach, minus the bikini babes , almost all sand. Sandy washes and sandy hillclimbs followed by sandy down hills and some really cool sandy canyons. It was a GREAT course. I liked the higher speeds, although I couldn't stay on time. I could ride the washes and sand faster than the posted time but always lost time on the hill side off camber single track up and down hill sections. Thumbs would always catch and pass me here and I would catch him back in the sand. Tator and I played leap frog a bit. He'd pass me, then I'd come around a corner and pass him while he was picking his bike back up. :bang: This happened at least 3 or 4 times. Credit to him for continueing to hang it out there. Thumbs took me out on one ridge peak ( although he didn't know it) I was going to pass him when he got himeself sideways on the peak of a very narrow hill with only a single track trail over it. With no where to go I bailed right and right I went down in a monster dust pile. Tator cruised by while I was getting sorted out. I was picking up minutes at every check. Always early for the first few possibles but couldn't hold the minute by the time we actually reached a check.

Thumbs (the lucky *******) lost the course and missed the unscored observation check where they had water and a 5 mintue break. There were lots of hairpin turns, so you could lose it easy. He found some ribbon in another section of the course and waited and we came across him some time later. He joined up with us again and I gave him the milage. Luckily he didn't miss a scored check.

Overall a really fun but tireing race.

The unofficial results as radioed to me by Thumbs are:

Novice class:

First place: Thumbs
Forth place: Scar
Sixth place: Tator.

A great ride for our minute. This race was more about how fast and how long you could go rather than how well you could keep time.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well I can see that the novice class will be a lonely place for me as you sandbaggers get bumped up next year

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Glad that you had fun.

Sorry about the speeds. We tried to pre-ride the course for speed, but it's so different when it cool, you haven't already raced 40 miles, there's no other riders making dust, and you know the course so well from working on it for 3 days.

We have learned a lot for this year's event, so don't miss next June! It will be a much shorter course with lots of fun stuff.

I think I got a good pic of you guys with the hot Hawiian chick. I'll try to get it posted here in the next few days as I sort throught the aftermath of a week in the dez.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
plysWfire said:
Glad that you had fun.

Sorry about the speeds. We tried to pre-ride the course for speed, but it's so different when it cool, you haven't already raced 40 miles, there's no other riders making dust, and you know the course so well from working on it for 3 days.

The course was great fun and didn't need to be shorter. Funny though, when your racing you think there should be more ribbon- markers. When your pulilng after the race you think there should be less. Your right about not riding in dust and being fresh helping your speed.

I liked the fast pace. It's nice to compete on speed every once in a while. My whole class was dropping minutes. It didn't bother me at all. No need to change anything next year for my liking, except maybe a real hulu dancer- waitress . :cool:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Sounds like a missed a good one, but you come to expect nothing less from Dean and Tim. You guys did well ... congrats ! I really was looking forward to it but I was just tapped out after Friday.

So, where are we all gonna ride over the summer ? Thumbsy and I are already talking about Piru MX. A little pricey if you do it alot but a very fun track, no scary jumps but for jumpers there is definitely some stuff to hang it out on. Also it's pretty technical, lots of elevation changes and turns. I've had a great time every time I've gone and it's never been too crowded.

tator

Feb 17, 2004
Starting the first week in July my brother and I plan on hitting the I-5 track on Thursdays. He's coming out from Phionex for a while to help me frame my house. We've been battleing on bikes since we were kids, we both just started riding again and we can't wait to hit the track and take each other out. Piru sounds great too, talked to friend a yesterday who just went there and he said it was a fun track. Anyone up for a Saturday night race at LACR?

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Try to copy and paste the link. I don't know why Tripod is flipping out when you click the link.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Here it is................

Attachments

• HighDez.jpeg1.jpg
    HighDez.jpeg1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 182
Top Bottom