mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
uh-oh... rebuild...

bought my first bike about a month ago. i took along somebody who rides (whom i thought was knowledged in the subject) to look at it with me. turns out, as i learn more, i realize he doesnt' know much. anyways, i started doing small routime maintenance i.e., changed ALL of the fluids, repacked the pipe, changed cables, and all that other routine maintenance i have read about on these posts. well, i decided to rebuild the top end so i could learn on a fresh bike and when i pulled it apart i found out the guy before had probably never changed out the piston or rings. there was tremendous blow by, a ring grooved in the cylinder at the very top of the pistons cycle, a ring grooved in the power valves, and from what i was told by someone experienced the plating had been worn through. luckily, i chose one of the few bike top ends that can't be replated so i ordered a new one from service honda along with power valves, wiseco piston, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc..

one thing i noticed, i only had one dowell pin where the cylinder attaches to cylinder head. the manual shows two but the service honda schematic only has one- do i need one or two?

i am going to rebuild the bike with a completely new top end. is there anything i should do to the bottom end so i don't have any other expensive repairs in the future (i have already spent alot of money on the bike so its going to be a keeper (certain amount of stubborn factor also)). i change the oil frequently, i noticed the bike grabbing in first when revved but i went to type f atf and it seems to have gone away. the clutch basket has notches in it but it dosen't seem to be too bad yet. it doesn't pop outta gear or do anything squirrley like that so i don't think there is anything wrong with it. but just to be sure i am asking you guys. i bought a new o-ring for the clutch cover becuase i noticed there was a little oil on the clutch cover from the last ride (couldn't figure out where it was coming from though). am i going to need to rebuild the bottom end now?

is there anything else i am not doing that i should be or something that needs checking? the bike is going back together this friday barring any disasters but the way my luck has been the past few weeks i wouldn't be surprised it it was stolen or it blew up....

i appreciate everyone's sage like advice
may the force be with you

oh, and my computer crashed a couple days ago, head unit in car quit working, sister got knocked up (just kiddin' about that last one)

Last edited:

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
there should be 2 dowel pins - that sets the cylinder on straight so it won't be "twisted" on teh bolts.

who said it could not be replated? I've had them replated and had them bored out to accept a sleeve.

for clutch leak - just replace the gasket - if you looked at the basket, you must have taken the cover off and either tore or got dirt on the gasket and now its not sealing - spend the $5 and replace it.

change the oil frequently if you ride hard - use a good premix and keep that air filter CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!!

as for bottom end - grab the flywheel and try to move it up and down - no play? then the main bearings are tight. since the top end is off, make sure there is no up and down play in the rod.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
millenium tech

millenium technologies said it couldn't be replated becuase the lip at the top where exhuust port is is too small to be bored or plated- it would very likely crack

Top Bottom