Um.. new to this 2-stroke KickStart thing.. I need help

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
Hey all. I just got a 2-Smoker RM250 from a friend.

I rode her 2 times since I got it and started it pretty easily, on the first couple kicks. Usually 3 kicks and it was ok cold, and 1 or 2 once warm. MAN THAT IS A BLAST TO RIDE :yikes:

I wanted to ride again the other day, and me being a kid of the fuel injection generation I'm not familiar with starting cold engines that are carbureted.
So I choked it and turned the petcock on. Kicked and kicked and no start. I know now that I was slightly twisting the throttle when kicking cause im a newb, so I guess that let too much air in.

I realized at that moment then that kicking and kicking does nothing but flood the motor. I smelled the gas. I turned the petcock off, and unchoked it and kicked a few more times but nothing happened.

I had to call my pops who used to ride for help. He said to take the plug out for a while to evaporate some gas from the chamber? So I did that overnight and its been sitting since. Plug was a little wet with gas DUHHR. Dried now though. Plug looks clean otherwise.

So what do I do now? My pops said to start the bike normally again w/ choke and fuel on. What you think? My instinct was to do it with petcock off, choke off and wide open throttle kicks. Thats what I read to do anyway.

Any helping a newb to the scene is appreciated :uh:

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
Thanks much for that!
It outlined what to do very well. So next time I start it normally I should be set. lol.

What it didnt answer- I was also wondering after the flooding dilemma if I should just go back to starting it normally? Or do something special b/c it was flooded like - starting it with Full Throttle with the choke left off.? I just don't want to make anything worse and have my cylinder full of gas worse then it could already be.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my routine

after a week

gas on, choke on
lean bike way to the left til gas comes out overflow
get on bike never touch throttle
kick
let run for 15-30 seconds before touching throttle
rev it 3-5 times
shut off choke

you can try this or modify as you like, after a while you will get to know your bikes routine

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
joeym4130 said:
...What it didnt answer- I was also wondering after the flooding dilemma if I should just go back to starting it normally? Or do something special b/c it was flooded like - starting it with Full Throttle with the choke left off.? I just don't want to make anything worse and have my cylinder full of gas worse then it could already be.
Once it's flooded there's a different proceedure to clean it out.

Turn off the petcock.
Turn off the choke (push the plunger in all the way)
Hold the throttle wide open and kick several times.

This will pump the gas out of the cylinder by pumping just air through the engine. Once it kicks off it will be very rich. Hold it wide open for a very short time and then blip the throttle, until it cleans out. Turn the petcock back on while it is cleari g itself out. Don't hold it wide open for long periids until it warms up or you can seize the piston.

Goiod luck!

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
With my RM 250 from cold its turn on petcock, pull up choke, kick through full stroke 2 -3 times slowly and then kick for real. During all this the throttle is left closed. Once its running I hold the throttle slightly open for half a minute and then put the choke in and continue warm up with the throttle only.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I guess 250's must me harder to start cause my bike ALWAYS starts at the first kick.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
trial_07 said:
I guess 250's must me harder to start cause my bike ALWAYS starts at the first kick.

Same here. On the KTM 200sx, I don't even have to choke it. Just kick, give it a little throttle, and it's alive.

Flooded....well, I've never flooded it like he's describing, but after a crash or fall-over, I just hold the throttle open and kick. Almost never takes more than 2 kicks. Even after I flipped the KDX rear over front and smashed it into the opposite side of a drop off and it laid there for 2-3 minutes while I tested my extremeties for function, it still started on the 2nd kick.

I'd certainly be looking at the jetting and maybe getting a new plug in there.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
petcock is a fuel shut off valve

Top Bottom