Sep 8, 2006
I need help!

Hey guys! This is my first post and I hope I am putting it in the appropriate forum. I need some advice on what to do. I was riding my KX 125 today on some pretty muddy trails. I had gone through several sizable puddles of mud that ranged anywhere from 5 feet to 25 feet in length. Most of the puddles were sitting water in ruts, anywhere from 6" to a foot deep. Well....I go around a turn where the trail dipped down and there was a puddle about 30 feet long. As hit the center of the puddle the whole bike just sank! The bike went up to about the side number plates. I kept it running as long as I could and tried to ride it out but it quit. I tried like mad to get the bike out as fast as possible but it was like quicksand. I am guessing that the bike spent around 10 minutes underwater before I totally got it out. I only weigh about 155lbs and I was by myself so it took awhile. Anyhow, the bike will not start now. I changed the plug thinking that might help but it did not start. When I got home I took the seat off and there was maybe 2oz of water sitting below the airfilter along with a little silt. After I cleaned that out I took off the hose that connects the airbox to the carbureator(sorry for my layman's terms). The end of the carbureator seemed clean and dry. I also removed the fuel line from the carbureator and let it drain and it seemed to not have any water. I also removed the cover on the left side of the engine and about 4oz of water came gushing out. I started to take off the cover on the clutch side but it was all fluid, no water, no silt. So....If I let it dry and do some cleaning will it be ok? Or, do I need some serious help from a local shop? Please share your experience.
Michael

Last edited:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
clean the air box/filter
put in a new plug
pull carb and go thru it
kick over bike while plug is out to make sure you have all water out
change trans oil
pray for it to all work out and start for you
dont ride by yourself again (not like i would have jumped in to help anyways :lol:)

Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I just dropped the bike off yesterday at a local shop. I used to ride when I was younger and my dad did all the workon the bikes. I have recently gotten back into it so even though I know most the terms and am an ok rider, I still have a long way to go when it comes to working on/fixing the bike. You're right! I do need some people I can ride with but I'm pretty new to the area. Maybe the shop can hook me up with some groups! I know for sure that I don't want to be pushing that bike for another 1/2 mile again :bang:

Thanks,
Mike

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I hope you tried starting the bike again before taking it to the shop! I would think maybe your problem would be solved after you took the cover of the flywheel/mag and let the water out and dried it good. You could have gotten water in through the exhaust tho when it died if it was under water. Hope it isn't too spendy. Let us know what the shop says.

Top Bottom