Waterproofing Morini Side Cases/Stators?

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
My son has a Husky 50J with the Morin motor just like all the other minis. I know that these bikes have problems with stators which is usually due to water getting in. Looking at the platic side cover and the flimsy clips that hold it on it is obvious how the water gets in. He can ride all day on the the motocross track and we don't have any problems. When we go into the woods where there is water and mud it doesn't take long to quit. At this point I have replaced 2 stators. I was going to put a bead of silicone around the inside of the side cover before replacing it but the dealer thought that may cause more problems if the slicone leaked onto the stator.
QUESTION: Have any of you had luck waterproofing these to at least the point of keeping some water out? If so, what was your method.

200Proof1

Mar 30, 2003
I would give it a try. We had the same bike & the same problems, went through about 5 or 6 stators in 6 months. One thing though, I was told by the dealer that there was a bad batch of stators, I think it was the blue stators. But once we put on the new, updated stators we never had a problems with them going out. I think the new stators were from the KTM's. You might want to give Andy @ EG Racing a call, he is the guru for the air cooled Morini engines. Andy's # is 972-839-2879 or you can check out his website at: www.egracing.com

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
we use a thin piece of plastic and form a inner lip to keep crap out. The silicone wont cause a problem with the stator. The failure mode is that the stator gets hot and the instant cooling causes the epoxy to crack and short the stator out.

Top Bottom