Wayne or Hatfield-McCoy: Which is better?

James980

Dec 29, 1999
I've been to H&M, but not Wayne. I'll be coming down in a couple weeks to a relatively centralized location, and if a riding buddy tags along, I've told him we'll check out H&M, which he's stoked to do. However, if certain things don't work out and I'm short on time, I'd like to go to Wayne just because I've never been there. H&M kicks ass, but if Wayne is almost as good, I'd rather go there just for something new. So, does Wayne stack up to H&M?

James

Noob

Dec 10, 2001
Never been to HM but I didn't think Wayne was all that good. I didn't ride every trail but they seemed either too easy or almost impassable. I like Perry reclamation or Wellsville better than Wayne. JMO

Noob

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
It all depends on where you go at Wayne. We stay off the main loop as much as possible. There is no single track at wayne but there is some challenging trails. As far as which is better? Personal opinion.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Looks like now I might have a chance to ride H&M on Friday, Wayne on Saturday and hopefully be back here in Illinois for a harescramble on Sunday (driving back Saturday night after leaving Wayne).

James

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
I've been to Wayne many times, and just got back from HM a couple weeks ago. My opinion is that HM offers better riding unless you know a local that can guide you to the tight, technical stuff at Wayne National.

All things equal, its a heckova lot cheaper to ride at Wayne National than at Hatfield McCoy.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
excellent write-up James, but there are a few areas you probably didn't hit back in wayne. I'm hoping to ride some H&M later this summer if I ever get some cash saved ahead.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by smb_racing
excellent write-up James, but there are a few areas you probably didn't hit back in wayne. I'm hoping to ride some H&M later this summer if I ever get some cash saved ahead.

Thanks. That was my first trip at Wayne. I hope to find some more technical stuff next time out. I'd also like to do the trip to Straitsville.

I come down from Chicago, and really don't end up spending that much. The round trip from up here is $100-$120, food and gas, less if a buddy rides along. Then I hang out at my parents for a day (Meigs Co., OH) and for H&M would drop $20 more for gas, plus $10 for food and $15 for the permit. Wayne, of course, is even cheaper.

When I ride up here in Chicago, it's $15-$20 for gas, $20-$25 for me to get in, $15 for my kid to get in ($30 if I bring both boys) and $15-$20 for food, or as much as $80 a pop with one kid or $95 with two. Well, over $100 if the second kid decides to eat.

Hell, if someone comes with me to halve the roundtrip expenses and I ride the several hundred acres accessible around my parents, which is free, I would spend less going all the way to Ohio to ride...$60 down and $5 for some bike fuel once I'm there. Thankfully, room and board at Mom's is still free.

Go figure.

James
00CR250

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
man that's an expensive riding trip, I bought my season pass to wayne and now my only expenses are gas and food. I drive less than an hour to get to any of the wayne trail systems (monday creek, pine creek, or hanging rock). Oh, and room and board is still free at home, until I graduate college in another year or so at least :eek:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
man that's an expensive riding trip

That's the way it is up here, man -- big fees to ride a couple hundred acre private parks -- and I hate to say it, but that's the way it will be down in Ohio in a few years if OHVers don't get active very soon in the rewriting of this management plan. (They do it every 15 years, and it governs the "zoning" of Wayne...basically what can be done where.)

I just saw something on the OMTA Web site (www.ohiotrails.org) about a recent meeting where the attendees got together and made a list of the most important recreational activities at Wayne. Guess what, OHVs didn't make the top two...three...four...or five! They weren't even on the list! There were only three OHV representatives at the meeting.

Yet, when I was at Wayne on Saturday I saw at least 100 times the OHVers as hikers, horseback riders and mountain bikers COMBINED. We probably spend at least 100 times what they do on permits and supporting the local economies. Nevertheless, we're going to get shut out simply because the enviro-wackos and other recreationists actually stand up for themselves.

James

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
it's not the fault of us OHV'ers james, I would gladly have attended the meeting along with several others but they didn't make it known that there was to be a meeting. Somehow the enviro's found out though, kinda makes you wonder eh? I believe there are other agendas working against us down here, the route 33 thing is only the beginning.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The trail to New Straitsville is rather boring. Open and flat. Long Ridge is the best place. Not a lot of quads and lots of short,steep uphills.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
it's not the fault of us OHV'ers james, I would gladly have attended the meeting along with several others but they didn't make it known that there was to be a meeting. Somehow the enviro's found out though, kinda makes you wonder eh? I believe there are other agendas working against us down here, the route 33 thing is only the beginning.

The OMTA had it in their newsletter and Web site. I caught word of a story in the Athens News all the way up here in downtown Chicago. Granted, I don't get a huge number of hits, but I had it on my site, as well. I and others have posted the info to online dirt bike newsgroups. The Wayne authorities have been publishing notices in the Federal Registrar, as they're required to do...

However, you are correct. We still need to look for the information. It's not always thrust in front of us. All those who ride at Wayne need to take it upon themselves to check the OMTA and Wayne Web sites on a weekly basis.

In any case, there's still time, of course. The April meetings are history, but there is a slate of June meetings that might be more important. Info is at...

http://www.ohiotrails.org/news/020414-01.html

...from the OMTA site: "Bet your bottom dollar that every group that wants the forest closed to everything wheeled will be there in force. We need to be there, too!"

James
00CR250

Top Bottom