What are you hauling your bike with?

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have Supercab Ranger, I also have a 4x8 trailer. Most of the time (95%) I use 2-2x8'sx6' long to load. One for the bike and one for me. This is the easiest way I have found. My riding partner has an '02 Ford 4x4 F250 Super Duty yada yada yada. :eek: We found the ramps have to be at least 8' or 9', because the angle is too steep. He also has a 5x8' trailer, which stays at the house on ride day. Good luck.
:aj:

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
87 Hilux 4X4, 8' X 4' dropside tray, lifted ~4".
Doesn't help you much, but I just ride it up, using an 8' folding aluminium ramp.
Then i just drop the sides, lift the rear wheel and spin the bike around, then I ride it down.
It's the only way I could do it on my own!

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
When we go to a GNCC or a National hairscramble we take our bus and our eclosed trailer its a 6x12 we usually haul my bros kx 125 and my kdx, and sometime one of his practce bikes. fr the loca races we tow the trailer with my dads chevy astro or my moms dodoge dakota

sunshine

Jul 2, 2002
cargo trailer 6'x12'. Its a good storage unit if your garage is full, also a good change room at the ride area and a work shop with a light for breakdowns.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I tow mine with a 2000 Maxima. I got one of those light motorcycle trailors. It doesn't have a floor, just two 6" wide ramps with built in choks at the end that look like skis. Got the trailor for $375 from a guy who was using it for a paddle boat. It kicks ass for two dirt bikes. I don't like towing with the Maxi, but hey, one will do what is necessary to ride. Going riding in Park Rapids, MN tomorrow thru Sun. The neighbor kid has a friend with a rich dad that is building a track. I'm not much of a track rider, but it's fun watching those young kids fly around and wipe out. I live for the trails!

Seeya

phastphill

Sep 4, 2002
97 nissan king cab, great milage fun to drive, use a "modified" aluminum running board for a ramp....light and looks trick. bike has to be on a bit of angle to close gate ,but with two bikes have to have a tie down to hold the gate part way up. Still will cruise all day at 130 klicks and gets great milage. Oh still trouble free with 175000 kms

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
5x12 utility trailer with a rear let-down ramp and bike shoes to cinch the bikes in. Works like a charm, ride the bikes up the ramp into the bike shoe, close the shoe and your done. The 5x12 is a little narrow but we can haul 5-6 bikes with little effort. The first three drive into the bike shoes, the second two are walked in and placed adjacent and behine the third bike in the middle bike shoe. -XRDad

NHtrailrider

Aug 8, 2002
I built a trailer that has 3, 6" wide rails. It's 1 foot of the ground for easy loading and has a 2' by 5' diamond plate (truck bed type) box in the front for gear. It also has a place for 3, 5 gallon gas cans. I saw this trailer in a Honda XR ad, and just copied it.

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Just a quick note to say thanks for all of the responses and good advice. I chose to go with two 2x10 boards x 7 feet long. One for me and one for the bike. On the end of the boards that rest on the truck tailgate I used some aluminum ramp brackets I found at Home Depot. Before I load the bike I make sure the tie downs are fastened to the truck and the free ends are laying handily on the wheel wheel humps in the bed of the truck. I've since used this set-up several times and it works like a charm. Thanks again.

keetkdx

Apr 18, 2000
i use a 2-place enclosed trailer the drive in drive out type i got it set up for 3 bikes and a 4th if needed. i tow it w/a 96 blazer. It's very nice when it rains etc.

MDA

May 27, 2002
I drive a 2000 Dodge Caravan with a class one hitch. I bought a used personal watercraft trailer (very strong) and built a deck for it. I also made a long ramp for the trailer because I'm not very strong. I intend on starting to bring a small sturdy step to make that last part of the push a little easier.

Converting a single PW trailer has one major fault. It is narrow. One bike in the middle of the trailer is fine, but when I put my buddy's YZ250F on there as well, we have to make sure to tie them down well. The wider the tie down points the better.

I am contemplating buying a Toyota Tacoma as a second vehicle (in about a month I guess). I will probably use the truck as my primary bike transporter from that point on. If I do get a truck, I would build a nice wide ramp that would let me run up next to the bike the entire way. I'm not very strong, so I like the idea of being able to take a full run at getting the bike into the bed of the truck.

All in all this is a very good subject to bring up. I realise that my situation is less than ideal, but it was cheap and quick. I intend to get a better trailer solution someday.

-Mark-

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have a cheap 4x8 trailer I assembled. It handles 2 bikes well. I took a few trips that were 6 plus hours. I always smile when I see other guys running and struggling with their bikes when I am loaded and out of there quickly. On long trips I wish I had a pickup for hauling though.

Top Bottom