2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
It happened. He grew.

I have 2 boys, now 5 & 7, well, 6 in Jan and 8 in Mar. I got them a pw50 last year for x-mas to start on and share. This worked with enough even tho I knew my 7yo would outgrow the pw quickly. We didnt get out as much with the family as I would have liked, talk to the wife about that :| , so they only got 2 trips for riding before last weekend. Now my 7yo, DJ, has grown a bunch over the summer and riding this last weekend is obvious he is too big for the little pw. He is doing really well, is not super aggressive but tries really hard. He needs to step up to a bigger bike but not necessarily more advanced. I believe I can move him up to something manual shift but auto clutch and something with mellow power.

As much as I hate to consider it, I am considering one of those chinese cheapo bikes. I know that it will have about zero resale, but if it can make it thru DJ's and his little brothers growth, it would have served its $600 price tag and then I will have something to give to friends with yet younger kids. It is either that or buying something like a pw80 used, ~$900, or ???? then have something to sell for about $300 in 4 years time???

I dont know. Im sure some have advice that have been down this road before........................

Last edited:

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
My 8 year olds first bike was a TTR90e. What an awesome bike. It was an 05 and I paid $900 for it. He rode the heck out of it and I never, never had to do anything to it except tires, back brake shoes and a throttle cable (because it was damaged in a little crash). It was mild enough for him not to be afraid of it and had enough grunt to get up just about any hill. I know he over revved and lugged it in the beginning when he wasn't sure when to change gears. It kept on going! I sold it after a year for $800. The only problem with the bike was that it needed a little bit more suspension. What do you expect though? These bikes were really built to be ridden in fields and stuff. Not ruts, roots, hills, and trees. I would highly suggest picking up a good used TTR90e (electric start) and selling it to another lucky kid when yours are kids outgrow it. :cool:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Thanx DBD

I checked out some chinese things carried by pep boys, I wouldnt consider that level of build for a weed eater.

I ended up getting a pw80, would have preferred a ttr90e for the electric start but I think the ol kick start will be OK, it is lighter tho. I should get good use of it as it will hand down to my younger one. Cant wait to get them out again.

Top Bottom