Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
I currently own a 00CR500 Honda but I have been thinking about the KTM 525. I can really rip on my CR but I wonder what the KTM 525 has to offer. Any input on the 525? One thing that I would have to have is a Headlight! I miss riding at night! Would I be hooked on KTM if I bought one? Some say the 450 is a better bike is this true? Thank you!

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
G'day dirtman: the 525 is a great bike. big bore power,but it can be mellow if your easy on the throttle. when you've got it pinned-you better have some velcro on your butt,if you hope to stay in the saddle for any lenght of time. I haven't had a chance at a 450 yet so I can't compare,but a couple of my budd's really like theirs. I've only had a couple rides on the 525,but it's an impressive bike. I ride a GG EC 300 as my "daily driver". Now there's a great bush bike!!!

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I have a 525exc (has the Light) and I think you will be impresed with the power it has.

It will do over 100mph with the stock gearing. I haven't gone that fast on mine yet as I seem to run out of open land before I run out of gear. I had a kx500 before this bike so I have an idea of the power you have now on your CR500. The KTM has a mellower hit through the power band like most 4 strokes so it is better in the tight stuff. It doesn't have the rip your arms out of their sockets kind of power like the two stroke but it can take off on you if you really hook it up. I grabed a hand full of throttle once and looped it on the track when I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing but overall it's a real joy to ride and I don't think it wears me out as much as the 2 stroke did.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
A freind of mine is going riding tommorrow w/Me and KawiDude, i get too try out my 1st thumper ever, a KtM450exc :yeehaw:

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
My buddys got a cr500, another kx500, 520 exc and another few 450excs, wrs. I ride a gg300 usually. I would definitely say that the 450s are out of the question unless you want your mind 2b more relaxed wile riddin. the 525 would compare mostly to the cr 500 in turms of power. the 525 is smoother with less vibration while more power is getting to the ground. suspension would go to whichever one is dialled for you but of the shelf ktm. I catch myself looking for more out of a 450. It reminds me too much of a 400. the power curve will never appear to be stuning and flying like your 500. the 450 compares more to a 250.
performance vs puting traction to the ground and your money were your mouth is
the actual drag race results 1through 4th gears gg, 520, 500s,wr,ktm. 5th, 6th 520,450ktm,kx,wr, gg, cr.
the electric starts are sweet as well as the 4st power thats on the ground.
My buddys cr is a 98 and we ride together constantly and hes aimed mostly at the 525 for his next update. everyone keeps having to much good to say about the 450 though. My personnal pick would be the 525 with one tooth of the countershaft sprocket. it wont bite back as abruptly then.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've owned both the 525 and a 450. I'm faster on the 450, although I feel like I'm faster on the 525. If racing in tight woods go 450, it is a much more woods friendly bike. If you are in big areas w/ the need for major speed, sand and/or hillclimbs I'd go 525

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
What can you expect if you ride a KTM? That you'll be hooked. I can't believe I ever rode anything else :) :)

Top Bottom