what is the air valve for on my forks

devries

Aug 9, 2001
at the top of each one of my front forks there is an air valve. What the heck are they there for?
the bike is a 1990 cr500 with stock showa forks

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Every three or so rides get the front wheel up and take them screws out. (make sure they are not the clickers if they are the clickers then they are the compression clickers) anyways if they are not the clickers then take them out and let the air come out. If you don't do this you'll blow a fork seal. If you do this with the front wheel on the ground your forks will be funky to say the very least...
ADR
Someone tell me if they are clickers or not please...

Darby581

Dec 19, 2001
He did not say it was a screw, he said it was an air valve. This valve can be used to bleed built up air out of the fork, or to add a little air to the fork. Yes, they do add air to the old fashioned forks at times, makes them a little stiffer and a little faster rebounding.

devries

Aug 9, 2001
thanks for the info Darby581, do you have any idea of what range of air pressure to use when trying to stiffen up the forks?

ArmPump

Mar 12, 2002
Air blreed only! If you want a stiffer front end, put in stiffer (or new) springs. Unless you like blowing fork seals, then put in the same air pressure as your tires -32psi!

Save yourself much heartache and buy a Honda shop manual - indispensible for set-up and maintenance, as well as educating yourself on your bike.

Top Bottom