TAZMAN

Nov 25, 2001
Help! I need to know what year my YZ250 is. Is there a way to get the year from a serial number? I ordered reeds for a 1997 and my bike is supposed to be a 97, and they don't fit. Is there a website I can look up the serial #'s that will tell me the year?:p Yamaha doesn't/didn't stamp the year on the steering head!:think :scream:

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Do you have any pictures of the bike? Yamaha didn't change the frame or plastics of the bike from 1996 to 2001 so if it has that look it could realistically be any of those years. There are ways to tell certain years apart such as the swingarm and cylinder.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
This is the way i found out on my KX. I got the VIN number off of the engine, then i went to the kawasaki web site. They had a section on the site where you could register your bike with them or something like that. When i signed up i typed in the VIN number and it told me what year and model it was. Maybe yamaha has something like that too.

Other than that, just go to a search engine and find pictures of each yz around in the 97 area and compare them to yours.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I think that it's just hideous that the manufacturers don't just stamp the model year (along with the model name would help too) on the frame tube right next to the VIN #. What would it cost, 6 cents a bike to do? Honda has always put a tag on their bikes and it really helps. It would eliminate all confusion for owners and the kid behind the counter who has never heard of a Yamaha JT-1.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you look at the thread about identifying what year a bike is in this forum, I posted a list of the model year as it corresponds to the 10th digit on the vin. It's long so I don't want to post it again! Check back a page or so and you'll find it. Good luck
Elk

Anssi

May 20, 2001
You can always call your local dealer and give them the number and ask. If they are at all helpful, they will know or find out.

TAZMAN

Nov 25, 2001
Thanks!

Thanks a454elk----that helped a bunch. Seems I paid for a 1997 and got a 1996 :think I will now know better next time!

Peanut

Jan 1, 2002
ELK - A little Help

Elk,

I am looking at purchasing a YZ 250. Here is the VIN JYAGC08C0YA005756
What information can you give me about this bike?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Peanut, check your post about this bike, ASAP. It's stolen!
Elk

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
LOL lets just say he has those "special powers"
From a "special computer database"

You wanna explain 454, I didn't want to call you a cop or something that you arn't. All I know is he is in "Public Service" and from what I have seen he does a damn good job:)

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
lol, i guess that would explain it! :D

I was wonderin if it had been stolen from a fellow drn member, or if there was a way to find out if a bike is stolen on this site.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I work autotheft for the Higway Patrol so I can check VIN's and plates to see if they are stolen. I've offered before to do this and have helped a few people with it. And thanks Ridr for the good word, I try to do what I can. I think we all feel the same when it comes to someone stealing our rides! :scream:

Elk
cmarzocca@chp.ca.gov

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom