Where can I get a good, affordable torque wrench?

mountain

Jan 7, 2002
I need a torque wrench.
Where can I get one for a reasonable price?
I saw some for $38, and up at Amazon. Kinda steep in my eyes...
Is this standard price for one of these?
Any suggestions? I'm thinkin more like $20.
Anyone got an extra one they want to sell? I'd even consider that, if it's in good shape...Do these "wear out"? Should I not consider a used one? Anyone feeling benevolent today?

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
This is just my $.02 worth. The words good and affordable are not usually used at the same time when it comes to tools that are very job specific and require some kind of accuracy.

There are several discount tool companys that sell over the net. Harborfreight tools is one. Northern tools would have decent prices also. IMHO, for the money, the Sears Craftsman torque wrenches are very good. You can spend a lot more for snap on or others, and they are surely more accurate, but to me, they are just not worth the difference.

The craftsman is a good quality, good price tool. The cheaper ones may be just as good also, I don't know, but I can say I am pleased with the Sears model.

hope this helps.:)

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Considering in our application, we are dealing with light alloys and torque specs, this is a very important tool. It is my opinion, that it is one I would made sure was accurate.

I had a young guy show up to fix some broken pinch bolts on his triple clamps. Wasn't a big deal, until he said he was using a torque wrench he had gotten for x-mas, and going by factory spec. After comparing it to my "good" one, it was found to be about 15% off at 20ft.lbs. If you were to buy a "homeowner" model precision tool like this, I highly reccomend you have a mechanic, compare it to one that is precision calibrated. Atleast you could take it back for replacement, before it caused you any headaches. The tool in question did come from Sears.

It has been my experience with torque wrenches, they are most accurate near the middle of thier scale. Don't expect a 10-100ft.lb. toque wrench to be very accurate at 14-17ft.lbs. This usually means most of us will have two or three, but they are more accurate, as they were baught for specific ranges.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
What about the ones with a dial and a pointer? How accurate are these? They are less expensive than the clicker type wrenches.

xler8250

Jul 27, 2001
I would say spend the money now, or pay the price later. You get what you pay for now a days.

I got a Snap-On torque wrench, went for about $230 or so. May sound like a lot but it's certified to be accurate within .005-.010 ft.lbs. How many other torque wrenches can say that?

Like ochster said, with the kind of light alloys that are used on biked these days, can you afford to be off by %15?

Free Style

Dec 14, 2001
I agree

I agree, dont skimp on this one, I was a bit mad when I bought the Sears Craftsman torque wrench (does in. lbs. too) for $70.00. But after hearing a buddies horror story of breaking a bolt off in the block...ouch!

spend a BIT MORE now and it will save you A LOT MORE later.

FS

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Saving money on a torque wrench

Is like trying to save money on a brain surgeon.
A torque wrench is a measuring tool.
I use measuring tools for a living and I have to stake my reputation on them 40 hrs a week and then some.
They are the cornerstone of good work, and you pretty much determine how good you want to be by how accurate you can measure and repeat those measurements.
Personally, I believe you need two torque wrenches minimum.
One to do chassis stuff and one inch pounder for 5~6mm engine stuff.
I use a Snappy clicker model QD2FR75.
It has a range of 5~75 ft lbs which covers all of my needs.
NEVER let a clicker style torque wrench dialed up. It should be returned to zero preload before leaving your hands, I had this beaten into me at a young age.
I used to be employed at a shop with a torque wrench calibrater/measurer.
I checked all of the wrenches for the local yamaha shop and they were all over the map.
I'll stop my rant now...
:eek: :eek:

FNINJA

Jan 12, 2002
Home Depot....

I bought my two torque wrenches at Home Depot. Their store brand of tools called Husky are just as good as Sears Craftsman tools in my opinion and there prices are cheaper and I believe their return poloicy on any tool that breaks is the same as Sears. One thing to remember to do, depending on use and handleing of the wrench is to send them out after some time and have them calibrated to make sure their still within spec. My old company has it's own calibration lab...Bingo. Husk'ys wrenches came in nice hard plastic cases, where they always go back into as soon as I'm finished with them! And remember to always set them back to zero when finished using them!:D

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Ensign, Yes it was a Craftsman as well as being made in the USA. It had a plastic handle that when locked on a setting, would still rotate when applying torque. I equate that to the very weak, plastic lock ring above the handle. On most decent quality wrenches I've seen, the lock mechanism locked into a detent. This particular one seemed to just "jam" against the plastic handle.

SFO, I have the same model...covers about 75% of my work.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I used a torque wrench from harbor freight and tool to tightnen the bolt that held my new racetech fork valve on and broke the valve assy. I then purchased a wrench from Home Dopot for about $50.00 and things worked out much better. I'm not saying you'll get a top quality wrench for $50.00 but I certainly wouldn't spend any less. From what I've read, less expensive torque wrenches are not very accurate on the lower settings.

kaw bill

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
Spend the money on a decent one! I bought a $20 Pittsburg (lifetime warranty) from Harbor frt and proceeded to snap off a clutch basket bolt, and stressed a few more, then I got a Craftsman for about $100. I feel much better now. I also now torque my bolts in increments. If it calls for 55, I'll torque to 35 first then 55 (just a little gun shy)

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
Just last night my riding buddy whipped out a true work of art..a brand new shiny Snap-On torque wrench. He said it was "about $200." That is bar none the coolest hand tool I have yet held. Would I buy it? No. But I'm pretty stoked he did and is letting me use it (we're rebuilding bikes right now). The thing is simply awesome!

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
I went through two of the Craftsman 3/8 inch drive torque wrenches in a year before learning my lesson. Luckily the local Sears let me return each after they had broken off front axle pinch bolts even though the return policy for torque wrenches is 90 days. I then spent $180 for the Snap-On model and have been happy ever since. Precision instruments do NOT come cheap.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
To expand on the thread,
Upon further research, I think the best torque wrench, especially for small torque values, would be a flat beam type torque wrench with a range of 0-50 ft/lbs with increments of 2 lbs. This is the most accurate non-electronic wrench you can buy with a + - 2% accuracy. All clicker type wrenchs regardless of whether it is SnapOn or Pittsburgh have an accuracy rating of + - 4%. Just as SFO has said, it would be best to have 2 wrenches, one for the small stuff and one for the larger stuff. And I'm by no means saying that the Pittsburgh would be anywhere close in quality to the SnapOn.

A round beam type torque wrench has the same accuracy of + - 4% as the clicker type and does not get out of calibration very easy, just protect the beam indicator and it is OK. This type of wrench would certainly suffice for the larger stuff, such as axle nuts, clutch hub nuts, and even linkage nuts and bolts. These are also fairly inexpensive and work both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

The flat beam type, on the other hand are fairly expensive and run in the $200 range, but are the most accurate and also do not need to be recalibrated.

Ideally what I would have is round beam wrench for the 50 ft/lbs and over stuff and flat beam wrench for the 0-50 ft/lbs. This would allow two wrenchs to cover the range of torque values necessary and you not have to spend a fortune twice.

I guess the 4% accuracy is very small but I just wondered why no one mentioned the twice as accurate flat beam torque wrench that does not need to be recalibrated. I'm also surprised that SnapOn does not make one.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom