Raptor

Jul 13, 2002
I am getting a new ride this year... 30 years of age, 5' 8" and a little less than 150 lbs. Last summer I tried out a 1997 YZ125 for about a month and loved it. That is all the motocross experience I have so far... have always ridden ATV's and Snowmobiles though. Used to think "bigger is better" but in this case I am not sure.

I hear so much about the YZF250 4-stroke that I am still not sure. (last minute contemplation I guess) I know that I do not want a 250 2-stroke or bigger because I can not ride up to the full power-potential of the bigger engines when it comes to motocross. I want the most nimble machine possible that I can first master before moving up. Plus from what I hear the 125 is pretty forgiving when you accidentally hit the throttle compared to a 250 2-stroke. (good for me)

Here are the factors making me question the possibility of a 250F so far: The 4-stroke will have much more low end and I can "putter" around more if I feel lazy or ride with "older" family members but supposedly still rips for riding MX with the younger crowd. What concerns me is the higher price, "supposed" higher feeling when riding, engine braking on jumps and corners and a bit heavier handling.

I am by no means an agressive rider neither am I a good jumper and feel the power of the 125 helped me out last summer due to not making me fly over the bars due to engine braking when letting off the gas as I hit a jump. (Do it all the time on my Raptor) Plus the 125 would not always lift the front end up like my huge 4-stroke quad. More predictable...

I guess the bottom line is this: Think I will be satisfied with the 125 and would a good after-market pipe and maybe a flywheel weight give me substantially more bottom end for the 125? The bottom end and "tracktability" are the only things holding me back from the 125 so far.

By the way, we ride on trails, sans pits and small MX type terrain looking for bumps and jumps thats why my choice is between these two bikes.

Thanks for all your input guys!

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
raptor -

a couple things you oughtta know

1) a 125 is no more forgiving if you accidently blip the throttle than a 250.

2) on an MX track, an accidental blip of the throttle is no biggie because you have about a 20 foot wide "trail" in front of you.

3) chances are you are not skilled enuf to ride a 125 at the edge of its potential, either.

4) while the 250s(2 stroke) are indeed substantially more powerful than the 125s, they have a wider useable RPM range, which makes them easier (IMO) to manage.

5) your reasoning about the 250f is sound.

6) for the uses you describe (trails, sand pits, etc) an MX 125 is a horrible choice, though at 150lbs you might be light enough to get away with it.

7) if you don't let off the throttle on the face of a jump, engine braking is not a problem on a 4 stroke.

8) bottom line, i think you'd be very happy with a 250f, but i think you'd like a 250 2 stroke almost as well.

jeremiah

Top Bottom