will a 19" wheel fit a 1991 kdx 250?

rickwenham

Nov 2, 2005
I'm looking for another wheel so I can have a paddle on one and the knobby on another

my bike is a 1991 kdx 250

will a 19" wheel setup work???

if so, what bikes have a 19" that will fit??

i know I will need a different tire, but will anything else need to be changed?

thanks

rickwenham

Nov 2, 2005
does anyone know?

the stock tire is 110/100-18....i think a similar size on a 19" would be 110/90-19

i just need to know if there's any reason that I can't use a 19" that I may be overlooking

thanks

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
As far as I know you can use a 19" wheel. The difference is is the width of the sidewall. The 18" wheel is better suited for trail riding because it can better absorb rocks and whatnot and avoid pinch-flats. The 19" should work fine..

I wish I knew what KX wheels were compatibile to give you a better idea what to look for. I've often thought of going w/ a 19", but after riding out here in the desert and taking some pretty good hits on my rim, I've thought better of it. Too many times I've hit rocks and instantly thought "uh-oh, flat..." but it never materialized. I'm sure if I was running a 19 it would be. But, for a paddle tire a 19 should be fine.

As said before, I have no factual basis for my opinion.... it's just an opinion.

rickwenham

Nov 2, 2005
thanks

i will talk to a couple shops and see what they think...

i'm not worried about flats because I would run a paddle on the 19"...

hopefully someone will know what other bikes have a rim that is compatible with my bike

rickwenham

Nov 2, 2005
this weekend i will take the rim off of my dad's 426f and see if it will go onto my bike...hopefully there aren't any other issues with fiment (rotor, hub size)....

I don't even know if the axles are all the same size or if they can vary...

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
rickwenham said:
this weekend i will take the rim off of my dad's 426f and see if it will go onto my bike...hopefully there aren't any other issues with fiment (rotor, hub size)....

I don't even know if the axles are all the same size or if they can vary...

Wishful thinking for sure. The chances of an axle, rim, hub from a Yamaha fitting on your KDX are pretty slim. You will most likely find a match from a similar year KX.

I could be wrong about the YZ to KDX, but then again, monkeys may fly out of my butt. :laugh:

Top Bottom