will a carb rebuild kit solve all ???

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Been having some carb issues....possible dirty pilot, float valve may be bad, sure it needs a good cleaning and lord knows what else. The problems I'm having are with excessive white smoke, trouble getting it to idle (but by turning in the air scRew I got it to idle but it's a rough, sputtery sounding idle and then 3 or 4 min into the idle it just dies and not an iddling down till it dies just a sudden death. I'm fairly stupid so I thought instead of trying to figure out the problem I could just get a rebuild kit and see if it helps or atleast rule a few things out. Does this sound like an intellegent thing to do, or am I expecting way too much from a rebuild kit ?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get me 1 also! My 370 is chugging fuel straight into the engine. White smoke is water/anti freeze evaporating. It does make power, a little sluggish off bottom though. I know my float valve is bad, they only last a year, mines 30 some years? Unless you are using some bizarre premix? I know of no oil that burns white. Clean the carb, and replace the float valve anyway.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Before you get a kit just clean the thing out and see what it does. My kaw was doing somethin similar, it would idle, smoke alot and want to die. If you tried to ride it it would sputter and die. New plug new gas and a carb cleaning and messin w/ the air screw and it was good.

Ive cleaned out bout 10 different gummed up carbs in the last 6 months and the only one that had an issue when i was done had a leaky float valve. Cleaning em usually does the trick....unless the bike is all modded out and the jets have been changed, then you may need some different jets.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
kawraper said:
Before you get a kit just clean the thing out and see what it does. My kaw was doing somethin similar, it would idle, smoke alot and want to die. If you tried to ride it it would sputter and die. New plug new gas and a carb cleaning and messin w/ the air screw and it was good.

Ive cleaned out bout 10 different gummed up carbs in the last 6 months and the only one that had an issue when i was done had a leaky float valve. Cleaning em usually does the trick....unless the bike is all modded out and the jets have been changed, then you may need some different jets.

See, mine barely idles and smokes like crazy, but it'll ride like you wouldn't believe. It's in very good shape and fast as hell. Infact it doesn't hardly smoke when I'm ridding it, mainly when it's sitting still.. When I crank it, it revs real high and then kinda sputters it's way back down. When I turn that air screw in it idles, but like I said it's a rough, poppy type idle.....then it dies.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Get me 1 also! My 370 is chugging fuel straight into the engine. White smoke is water/anti freeze evaporating. It does make power, a little sluggish off bottom though. I know my float valve is bad, they only last a year, mines 30 some years? Unless you are using some bizarre premix? I know of no oil that burns white. Clean the carb, and replace the float valve anyway.

I thought leaking coolant also, but I haven't lost a drop .?.?.? Ithe smoking started after I ran it completely out of gas and syphoned about a 1/2 gallon out of my son's yz85. It always seems to smoke when it's low on gas. Sometimes it doesn't smoke at all.. I just don't know. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it so I don't mind changing things that may not solve the immediate issue, but eould eventually have to be done anyway. It's an 03 so it's time to go over it anyway. Wow have I gotten waaaaay off subject...anyway, any ideas on where or how I'm burning water ????

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is the plug black? A leak down test will tell you if/where its leaking at. And tell you how the bottom end is sealing also. Start it up and take the radiator cap off, any bubbles when you raise the rpm? Have you ever seen droplets on your carb slide?

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Is the plug black? A leak down test will tell you if/where its leaking at. And tell you how the bottom end is sealing also. Start it up and take the radiator cap off, any bubbles when you raise the rpm? Have you ever seen droplets on your carb slide?

The plug really looks pretty good (maybe slightly oily lookin') . Now tell me more about this " leak down test" like how do I do it ?,?, No, I've never noticed droplets anywhere,

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
It's difficult to purchase a carb "kit" for most bikes. Normally, you have to buy the individual parts for the carb from the dealer or a company like Sudco.
What year and type of bike is it??

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
are you sure the smoke is white? maybe a little blue?
i usually put my hand on the back of silencer and give the bike some gas allowing the smoke from exhaust to contact my hand. if it´s burning water it will leave small droplets of vapor on the hand...

also, i would start by clean the carb very well. to see if the float valve is bad, take the fuel bowl out and open the petcock, then slowly close the float valve and wait some seconds to see if it leaks... after clean the carb of course...

one more thing, the float height have some influence. the arm of the float should be paralell with the carb base for the bowl when the float just close the gas.

hope it´s not confusing :whoa:

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Ok......my carb kit came in today. It's made by Moose Racing, consists of all jets, needle, gaskets, air & throttle screws, springs, and float valve all for $17.86 plus $4.00 shipping on ebay brand new in sealed package.

Top Bottom