Will I benefit from tall seat foam?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Hello all, I'm 6'2" and about to put a new seat cover on my bike. Before I have that done, I was wondering if I should take this opportunity to put tall seat foam on as well.

I've read on the JustKDX site that tall seat foam helps tall riders, but I don't know if it would "help" me or not. I'm 6'2", so I'm not too tall or too short. I've been riding my bike for about a year with the stock seat and it has worked fine so far, but if you've never tasted steak, bologna tastes pretty good, if you know what I mean...

Since I haven't ridden enough bikes to know the difference yet, can anyone out there give me an idea if the tall seat foam would make a difference for me?

Thanks for your help!

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Actually, I'm not going to help this one, but I'm curious about the same thing. I'm 6'0", but I've only got a 30-31" inseam. I race Hare's and ride trails, and it's time to replace the foam on my seat.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am 6'0" and went to the tall seat foam when I had my KDX. If memory serves correctly I felt a little cramped on the bike with the stock seat, so the tall seat foam was THE ticket for me. It made the sitting to standing transition much easier. It was also a big help when trying to move forward up on the tank, and the stock foam was extremely soft, which I didn't care for either.
BTW, I ordered mine from FRP.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I believe you will have to do the seat cover and the foam at the same time if you want the tall foam. I am vertically challenged--the opposite problem, but taller riders do like the tall foam. Cheers John

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Don't bother with new foam and new cover, just get a complete seat from SDG, very little cost difference and no seat covering hassles.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Okiewan said:
Don't bother with new foam and new cover, just get a complete seat from SDG, very little cost difference and no seat covering hassles.

I haven't looked for a while but I don't think SDG (or anybody else for that matter) makes a replacement seat for the KDX. On bikes that there is a complete seat for though, that is the way to go.

-Maurice

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I am 6' 1" and I have the Ceet tall foam seat on my bike. It does everything Canadian Dave stated on his modifications for tall riders section. The only thing I don't like about the seat is it feels like you are sitting on a 2x4. :yikes: I have only rode three times with it and I am already considering going with the Gutts racing tall foam since you can get it in the same softness as stock. Currently I use my padded shortes to try to soften up the hardness. I guess for those that weigh 300 lbs the Ceet tall seat foam would feel just right. I am waiting to see if the foam will soften up with use. Other then that its a great modification and the stock cover works with the tall seat foam. :cool:

Top Bottom