Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
The post about the guy dropping a washer into his bottom end got me to thinking. The piston skirt came apart on my CR 250 and pieces of the skirt fell into the bottom end and locked up the engine. When I took the top end apart, I could see most of the pieces wedged between the crankshaft counter weight and the crank case at the top. I removed a couple of the pieces and freed the bottom end, but a couple of the pieces fell on down into the case and it was locked up again. Should I split the cases, or should I try the tricks mentioned in the other thread? If I can break the bottom end loose, should I try to get all of the pieces out with a magnet through the side and turning the bike upside down? The cheaper and less time consuming the better. Thanks for your help guys.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I would say give it a go, as long as you dont think it will wreck the counter weight. If it works it will save you some money if you dont already have a case splitter.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
leave some shavings in there and wave goodbye to all savings, doesnt take much , make sure to fill the crankcase with premix, slosh and spin the crank repeatedly and suck it out with wetvac. then check tolerances and spin crank feeling for grit when all is well again , assemble and :aj:

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
This reminds me of the time when I dropped the wristpin clip in the bottom-end just after rebuilding my engine/trans. I was soooo pissed! :bang: I couldn't get it out without splitting the cases again. Now I never forget to stuff a rag in places where I might drop something.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks guys. If I have to split the casing anyway, I will probably replace bearings, crank and everything else. I might as well give it a go. As long as the case itself is not hurt during the process, it won't hurt to try!

Top Bottom