Winter Maintenance Gone Out of Control

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well it’s time to perform some simple maintenance on my ’91 KDX, or so I thought. I had the bike completely torn down in just 2 hours. A quick look into to intake port showed that I had ingested some dirt. My piston is scored and upon disassembly I discovered that my lower ring is frozen at the sight of the piston scoring. Looks like I’ll have to replate the cylinder too.

Hmm, seems there is a bit of play in the crank bearing so I’ll send the engine to RRP to have the bearing replaced. While they have the cylinder for replating they might as well do some Stage II porting. I guess they should take care of that slight water pump seal leak too!

Suspension, yep, time for new springs in the forks and I might as well have the shock serviced. I should get a new rear tire too.

Front brake pads, FRP kick starter, V-Force Reed Valve and maybe a skid plate and pipe guard…

What started as a simple Saturday morning maintenance project to lube the bearings and clean the powervalves and silencer has turned into a $1,000 day! Good thing nothing was actually broken!!! The funny thing is that everything I thought I needed to due was fine. My powervalves are clean and work great, there was plenty of grease at all bearings and pivot points and, thanks to the use of never seize, all of my bolts slid right out.

I wish I didn’t like this bike so much. Otherwise I had some good reasons to replace it. $1,000 sure beats $6,000 though.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well, I was thinking along the lines of a WR250F or a KTM. I can't see selling my KDX to get another one. If I can get the old KDX's suspension sorted out it will last me along time. I can't think of a bike with better power delivery. I'm interested to see how it performs with the torque porting.

Gary

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
it happens to the best of us!

Just wait until you get a new bike, the first thing you do is tear it down to grease all the bearings and inspect the fluid. then before you put it back together, you gut the airbox, have new bars installed, rejetted the carb and a new exhaust on the way! That is the story on my wife's 03 TTR125.

I admitted defeat to my addition of leaving something that runs on gasoline stock. haha

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
hey i have a 91 kdx200 engine, only thing is the right side clutch cover and case cover, not the main case, the small one after the clutch cover, are cracked, otherwise it's fine, top end is good and so is the bottom end, engine ran great till i got in a head on collision that cracked the case, sell it to ya if you want it

Last edited:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Wow what a great opportunity LOL. Really though if your cylinder needs to be replated here's the perfect chance to make some improvements and you don't even have to make excuses about spending the money. . . “But honey whether I have the head machined and cylinder ported its still the same price and cheaper than replacing everything with new factory stuff . . .

It sounds like you've got the cylinder nicely worn and are ready to make some improvement ;)

You might also consider talking to someone like Fredette or Eric Gorr about a rebuild and cylinder repair as they have a great deal of experience and know how when it comes to KDXs. Both offer cylinder porting and head modifications as well.

David

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I considered FRP but choose to go to RRP (Rosini Racing Products in New Village NJ) because they are local and have an excellent reputation. I like being able to talk to the mechanic face-to-face this way both parties are clear on the expectations. Mike at RRP has a considerable amount of experience with KDX’s (when he saw me walk through the door with the forks in my hand he said, “They look like KDX forks”. This from 25 feet away!) and he guarantees his work to absolute satisfaction.

I told him to port the cylinder for torque while retaining the use of 91 pump octane. He thought a “mild stage 2” port and general clean-up would do the job for me. He said changing the head could create problems with pump gas and that with my type of riding (slow trails) I might not see the full benefit of that service. He also suggested the use of a V-Force reed cage.

I’ll post my results.

Gary

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Yeah, mine almost got out of control now. 2 new rotors, chain/sprockets, top end with new kips, stripped the bike to the frame to repaint it.

So I get done today and my wife comes out to the garage and ask where my bike is. I point to the 4 totes full of parts and the frame on the ground. She had a dumbfounded look on her face and I get asked "are you sure you can remember how to put it back together??!?"

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
Funny, when my wife sees my bikes in boxes the first thing she asks is "How much $ are you dumping into that??" Anyway, there is no better feeling than stripping a bike down to nothing, then assembling with copious(sp?) amounts of TLC. DNF'ing a race or trailride due to lack of maint./set-up is the worst feeling in the world. Dive in. Learn. RIDE & BE PROUD!!!

Top Bottom