Aug 31, 2004
I just bought a 94 kdx 250. it was all in parts and i rebuilt the complete engine over the last 4 weeks. new piston, crank, crank bearings, redone cylinder etc. the bike is finally back in one piece and running great :) , but i have one problem that i just cant figgure out myself without a manual.
how to i do hook up a head light??
i got 4 wires coming out of the coils in the altornater, a black one, a white one with a red stripe, a white one with a green stripe (these 3 go ito the cdi) and a yellow one. i read that that one is supposed to be the one for the lights, and it does not hook up to anything yet, but when i checked with a voltmeter it only had 2.3 volts :think:
so my question is how do i have to wire it???

so if anyone has a wiring plan for a kdx250 or knows where to get one (already checked buykawasaki there is none i can use). or can just tell me what to do please just drop me a couple of lines.
Thanks, phil

Last edited:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Most likely the lighting coil or the line (yellow) coming off of it is toast. If you've got a manual it lists specs for checking the resistance of the lighting coil. You can get an aftermarket lighting coil (75w) for around $80. The addition of an aftermarket lighting coil is also a performance enhancement. Makes the bottom end run stronger.

-Maurice

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
If you have a multitester (volt meter), figure out which wire is a steady 11-14 volts. I think the current used for the ignition system is going to be higher voltage. If you have a kawi dealer nearby, ask them.

Aug 31, 2004
i went through all teh wires and unfortunally didnt find one that had a suitable voltage. the only voltages i can find are the 2.3 volts and the 28.4 for the ignition system comming from the other coils...
does maybe anyone have a manual with specifications or can tell me how to get one in germany? i already tried getting one from kawasaki germany, but they are being stupid and told me they cant get it.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
The yelow one is for lighting. Make sure your voltmeter is set for AC and not DC. And with out any load or regulator, the voltage can alot more than 12v.

Top Bottom