Wiseco Piston + OEM circlip = empty wallet

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
OUCH!

Just finished the bottom end rebuild, then destroyed the top end at the end of a 5 km shakedown run. Now to pull it apart again and find all the little metal bits.

The difficulty is working out what to do with the damaged barrel and piston.

Sleeve and new piston $550
Brand new Kawa cylinder and Piston $610
Bore and replate $725 Aussie Dollars.

Seriously considering OEM.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Ouch is right,Are they replating that thing in gold or what ,seems kind of high when you can get a OEM for less money ,can you try to get another quote.The sleeves are not that bad they do not transfer heat as well as the plating,might have some problems in the summer time in the hot temps there,they can be bored out to oversizes when worn,any chance of finding a good used one.You did not say what bike you had,yr,cc etc etc.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
1989 KDX200SR.

The local wreckers has a 1991 E model that I can have the whole top end including carb through to pipe for $560.

Too many options.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
What if you sent the cylinder to the USA to be bored & plated --around $200 ?
Is there a big import duty on all or part or the transaction ?
This has also happened with Weisco pistons and Weisco circlips !! Some are a very tight fit and don't properly seat immediately. You must be SURE that the clip is completely seated before putting it back together. [There have been past posts on this forum warning of it.]

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
Found a plating place that costs the same as the sleeving then the local Kawasaki Dealer dropped their spares price to match.
Decision is made. I am ordering the parts first thing tomorrow.
OEM all the way.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
All my prices are in Australian Dollars
$550 Australian Dollars are currently worth about US$310.
The prices that I was quoted here are pretty well on par with the US
Though spares prices from kawasaki here generally seem to be cheaper than over there.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I don't see a reference to this being a known problem...which it likely is.

Wiseco made some pistons/pins that didn't fit right. They came out. When the thing went together, you should have noticed a definite 'click' when the ring seated.

You didn't re-use old snaprings, did you? Ooops if you did. Of course, that's a big no-no.

Langcourt (us) bores and replates for $175. Coating can be put on pretty thick, too.

Good luck!

Top Bottom