Wondering if someone could help a newb out

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
So I'm new to the world of owning dirt bikes, bought the '04 KDX for 600 bucks, so obviously it needed some work. The silencer and chamber were def not for the KDX, so I ordered an FMF gnarly woods pipe, and power core 2. Now, the power core fits great, but can't get the pipe to fit, I took a picture of the engine with an arrow pointing at the piece that is clashing with(it is in my gallery due to the spam killer). The pipe that was on it when I bought it was dented in order to fit around it :coocoo: . I checked the service manual, and it doesn't look like anything in the pictures. I was wondering if it was after market, or if anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The stock pipe in the service manual does not look like your FMF one. I've heard that a lot of folks has to dent their FMF to fit. I have a PC and it fit with out modifications. If it will fit but for one small place then go for it. But you may want to verify the pipe is correct first.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
That certainly is not a 220 motor. On a 220 the kips advancer shaft is not vertical it's on a angle, the oil site glass is centered on the bottom and and the coolant hose on the head attaches aft the spark plug. Can you show a picture of your whole bike?

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
Clamps said:
So I'm new to the world of owning dirt bikes, bought the '04 KDX for 600 bucks, so obviously it needed some work. The silencer and chamber were def not for the KDX, so I ordered an FMF gnarly woods pipe, and power core 2. Now, the power core fits great, but can't get the pipe to fit, I took a picture of the engine with an arrow pointing at the piece that is clashing with(it is in my gallery due to the spam killer). The pipe that was on it when I bought it was dented in order to fit around it :coocoo: . I checked the service manual, and it doesn't look like anything in the pictures. I was wondering if it was after market, or if anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

In deed you are in a pickle, you might have a 2004 kdx with but that engine is a 94 KDX engine. You get what you pay for! I suggest you invest some time in selling that engine and getting a 96-06 engine. If that engine is good it should fetch 300-600 bucks on that auction site the trick is to pull it apart and sell the lower end, cylinder and piston, head, stator and fly wheel separate.

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
Well, you do indeed get what you pay for. I'm uploading a pic of the other side right now. So, do any of you guys think it could be worth just trying to get it to work? The engine runs pretty good, with the stupid exhaust pipe that was on it when I got it, it usually starts within 5 kicks, yesterday started on the first. However, I do not want to leave it the way I had it mounted on there. The clutch doesn't seem to be fully engaging too, when it isn't running, the bike doesn't want to roll while the clutch is pulled and it is in gear, and it'll stall when I try to let it idle in while trying to engage the clutch.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry I didn't look at the pic first.

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
Its cool man, so, krazyinski, that seems to be some good advice. I think trying to finagle that engine would be too hard for me, I think I could've handled fixing it had it been the right engine, as the service manual would have greatly helped. Thanks for the input though guys, it def explains why the pictures in the service manual don't correspond with the actual bike, lol.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
That is a 1989 - 1994 KDX200 engine that someone bolted in. You have a Frankenbike.

If you have the money, just go buy a correct 1995 - 2006 KDX200/220 and keep this one as a parts bike and sell this engine. Also, you could part it all out, then go buy another 1995 - 2006 KDX200/220. Either way, you have the pipe and silencer for the 1995 - 2006 model.

That stinks that someone would sell one like that. For $600, I would buy it in an instant though, even with the wrong engine.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Clamps
For what it's worth you got a older kdx 200 with a upgraded newer style frame for 600. I don't see that as being so bad. Get a manual for the older engine, I believe you already have the manual for newer frame etc. Fix whats broke and ride the snot out of it. Sounds like your clutch needs only minor adjustments and if it starts that easy, your engine is probably half way decent. Give it a good going over and start having fun.

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
Ya, I'm absolutely sure the kid I bought it from had no idea too. He even gave me a helmet, goggles, boots, chest protector, gloves, and tie down straps, so it appeared to be quite the deal. It seems like it was pieced together carelessly after diving more and more into it, and the clutch cable is def shot. Though, my neighbor informed me today he is selling his 2002 KDX 220, so I may go that route, and his in excellent condition, lol.

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
glad2ride said:
That is a 1989 - 1994 KDX200 engine that someone bolted in. You have a Frankenbike.

If you have the money, just go buy a correct 1995 - 2006 KDX200/220 and keep this one as a parts bike and sell this engine. Also, you could part it all out, then go buy another 1995 - 2006 KDX200/220. Either way, you have the pipe and silencer for the 1995 - 2006 model.

That stinks that someone would sell one like that. For $600, I would buy it in an instant though, even with the wrong engine.

Edited motorcycle info on my profile :laugh:

Top Bottom