Woods pipe with stock silencer

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
Recently got a Gnarly woods pipe and kept the stock silencer. The pipe makes a noticeable difference. Was wondering if anyone know how much of a difference getting a power core 2 will make as compared to using the stock silencer?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Ryan12833 said:
not much at all except a bunch more noise.
#1 A BIG DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT LOSS
#2 A Decibel of approx. 90-92
#3 Allowing the Gnarly Pipe to Flow a Bit More.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
kelseybrent said:
You would be losing your spark arrestor. The Turbine Core 2 has a SA.
Yup, forgot to mention that. I have the TBC2, I would rather have a SA than a CLOSED COURSE Silencer

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
I'm not really worried about weight loss or looks and would rather have a spark arrestor and quieter is better, so if it won't make a real noticeable difference in the bikes power will go ahead and save the money and stay with the stock silencer for now. Thanks guys.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
When you're ready to make the jump consider the FMF "Q" silencer. It'll save you a bunch of weight and it's quiet without a performance penalty.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I cant see how the stock silencer can perform the same as a PC2 as the stock silencers are so restictive .
When the companies like FMF and Pro-circuit design pipes they make the whole system work as one .
In Mx for instance you can buy shorty silencers for top end etc .

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
KDX CRAZY said:
I cant see how the stock silencer can perform the same as a PC2 as the stock silencers are so restictive .
When the companies like FMF and Pro-circuit design pipes they make the whole system work as one .
In Mx for instance you can buy shorty silencers for top end etc .

Since they do perform almost the same it goes to show you that the stocker is not as restrictive as you think.

I have a Turbine Core II and an FMF rev pipe. I switched between the stock silencer and the FMF a number of times in one day. The FMF gave me slightly better throttle response, and slightly more top end power. But my bike has a little more work than most here. Bored out carb, cut / reshaped head, and porting are my high-rev mods. I think on a stock bike the difference between the FMF and stocker would be un-noticable.

Oh yea, and I left my stocker on after swaping them back and forth. I'll save the FMF for racedays when weight matters (every few pounds less I have to lift back off the ground counts!)

ledzeppdude

May 11, 2006
I have the FMF woods pipe/Powercore II silencer on my kdx and I dont really notice any increase in power between the stocker and the FMF. Maybe just a little in the top. What I do notice is that when I put the stock silencer on the FMF pipe is that it is actually a bit louder than the FMF silencer. Its got a deeper and louder popping sound. Has anybody else noticed a little sound increase?

1swarty

Nov 29, 2003
On my 220 I run the stock silencer with FMF torque pipe at enduro's as I believe it pull's lower off the bottom but flattens out on the top. HS/Open course I run the answer w/spark arrestor, very strong mid-top hit with that set up.
Swarty

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
been wondering myself about the power diference between stock and aftermarket silencers. sounds like the stock unit is not so bad it terms of performance. but the stock unit cant be repacked can it? so if it gets gunked up really bad or the material blows out of it then surely power would start to drop off?

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I put a Pro Circuit Type 296 Quiet Spark Arrestor / Silencer on my KDX220 with the FMF Torque pipe. It sounds exactly the same as the stocker, but definitely enhanced the top end power a bit, is lighter, and looks much nicer! I think it was worth the $145. Still a heck of lot cheaper than those 4-stroke silencers! They're like $300-$400!!!

Top Bottom