murdermittens

Aug 14, 2008
hey guys im looking for some direction on my bike

recently over the past year ive had tons of problems with starting my bike

sometimes it takes forever and my legs almost so dead i cant even ride hard for about 20 minutes

usually i start with tipping the bike on its side letting some fuel leak out , full choke 3-4 decompression kicks then a regular kick in the past its done fine and started great lately no dice .

just this past thursday i rode for about 2 hours not only did it not start till about 10 -15 kicks it wouldnt run off of choke half choke only no choke = sputtering

then about 2 hours after i rode i tried to start it again after i washed it ( kicked it about 7 times and it was still not starting )

ive tried everything in the past new plugs air filter etc.

this weekend im going to do a new filter and try to fully clean my carb and start with a new plug im also thinking i might need to adjust the valves ( some help here would be great as well. i think a clymer manual is in my future )

help anyone ???? :bang: :bang:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm betting on the valves

the manual will walk you through it easy peasy lemon squeezy

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I agree with Pred. Check your valves. Also check your compression after you adjust your valves. You may have burnt valves or worn rings. A bike with low compression is very hard to start. You may also want to remove and clean your carburator. Especially the pilot circuit. Having to use the choke or partial choke would indicate a clogged pilot air circuit.

murdermittens

Aug 14, 2008
thanks for the reply

hopefully theres no worn rings this bikes only an 04 and its not raced trail ridden only

thanks for the help guys its much apreciated

murdermittens

Aug 14, 2008
bikes never been touched internally or externally next to oil changes and filter changes

if your speaking of the decompression system its activated by a lever on the bars ???

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I believe he is talking about thus. I know the early 80's vintage XR500R had the auto-decomp (I learned a hard way), but I don't recall the XR400 having an auto-decomp system . . . but I'm getting old. I'll have to study this further.

whether it has that or not, the cable getting out of adjustment could cause the decomp to open the valves just a skosh, keeping you from building up the necessary compression for starting. Another thing to look at while you're adjusting your valves.

and trust me, valve adjustments on that RFVC head are pretty easy. If you get a manual (clymer or otherwise) it'll walk you through it and you'll wonder how come you didn't do it sooner, it's so easy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom