canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Anyone happen to have a pic of xr250r plates they've used in their kdx?

I saw a comparison photo quite awhile back with the oem kdx and the xr plates side by side. Can't find it now (yes, I did look. ;) ).

There was obviously a considerably larger friction surface on the xr plate than the oem kdx plate.

Looking at the xr plates I just bought...they don't look quite right.

Maybe it's a matter of factory honda as opposed to aftermarket? The plates I'm looking at are 'kg clutch factory' brand. Probably my error not specifying honda factory plates.

Didn't find a pic on frp, either.

Thanks.

***edit***
I emailed frp having not found the friction discs on their website. Got a response in a couple hours saying, 'They're on the site now.'

And so they are.

Listed under <catalog><engine><vesrah>

I'd still like to see a pic of the XR plates if anyone has one.

Last edited:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Here is a KDX plate on top of an XR250 plate.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/74476185/77652250yQubRE

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Terrific! Thanks!!

I added your photo to my 'stack-o-stuff' with a credit to you. If you prefer it not be used in the future for any reason, let me know? Yanno..artistic license or somesuch?

BTW...for anyone that orders XR plates from a local merchant, be advised an XR250R clutch pack comes complete with every disk you need to replace the friction disks in your XR.

....which is unfortunately two disks short of what you need for your kdx.

I have yet to measure the thickness to know if that is different between the two. Presumeably not as these plates have been used in the kdx for awhile.

Guess I'll find out shortly.

Thanks!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jury is still out.......some.

At this point I think if I was doing it over I'd use oem plates or at least aftermarket plates for the 200.

Not that it seems to matter a whole lot, but I'd prefer keeping the spring and seat rings in.

The part of it all I don't like at all is the noise! The vesrah plates I put in start screaming at the first clutch slip. Their clutch action after that goes south fast. Maybe that's a vesrah problem.

I didn't have any problem with the oem plates. I haven't priced them, so don't know if they are stupid expensive or not.

I'm less than thrilled with 'em.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well...more like BAD feedback.....;)

BTW, yes, I did soak the plates as prescribed by law. They aren't screaming cuz they were put in dry.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Jury is still out.......some.
The part of it all I don't like at all is the noise! The vesrah plates I put in start screaming at the first clutch slip. Their clutch action after that goes south fast. Maybe that's a vesrah problem.

I didn't have any problem with the oem plates. I haven't priced them, so don't know if they are stupid expensive or not.

I'm less than thrilled with 'em.

I’m surprised. Did you install the stiffer springs that Fredette supplies along with the Vesrah plates when you get his “kit”? I’m on season #3 for mine and they’ve worn like iron. I’ve heaped severe enduro abuse on it. The clutch rarely ever slips at all, unless I’m deliberately trying to slip it by fanning the lever to get up a hill. In fact the only time I’ve noticed spontaneous slipping is in the winter with the studded Trelleborgs on (Those Trellies will make anything slip. When the spikes hook up in the ice, it’s like having magnets on your tires). I couldn’t be happier with the setup. I wonder if the results are less satisfactory with the stock springs?

Last edited:

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
The reason I inquired is that last weekend I did alot of 5th and 6th gear open road riding and the clutch slipped between gears a couple of times. I use ATF type F and I do use the clutch and blip the throttle between gears. This has not been a problem but the XR clutches looked promising, maybe I just need stiffer springs? What year KX did you use Andrew?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I didn't use KX springs, but aftermarket springs. I have yet another set of EBC springs that I'm going to try. I did not get springs from FRP..just the plates.

I never tried the stock springs with the XR style vesrah plates. They were all under spec length...which I understand from talking to other kawi riders is a pretty common situation. I've been told that just cuz they are a bit short doesn't mean they don't work just fine. An erstwhile btw.........

It's not a matter of slipping, but just 'normal' clutch action that can make them howl. Once the clutch is disengaged, the bike is hooked up for sure.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I don't recall what year KX springs I used, I think I just picked a year close to my KDX ('96) that had the same number of springs (4). I was pretty sure they'd be much the same diameter, just a bit longer and stronger.

They were. Too Easy! Maybe I just jagged it; I like to call it an educated guess!

Andrew

Top Bottom