Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
ive been thinking about upgrading up to a 125 already and i cant decide between the aluminum frame one or the other steel looking one, are there any real difference to them? one better then the other?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
crkid33 said:
the aluminum framed one is lighter, but the steal one is stronger.
Oh really? I have never heard that before. The opinions I have heard indicate the opposite to be true.

There is no better 125 made, ever, than the '05 and up YZ. The reviews all confirm this. The '06 and up YZ's all have better suspension components than the '05.

BTW I currently own an '03, '05 & '06 YZ125's. My '06 is a truely incredible bike.

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
SpDyKen said:
Oh really? I have never heard that before. The opinions I have heard indicate the opposite to be true.

There is no better 125 made, ever, than the '05 and up YZ. The reviews all confirm this. The '06 and up YZ's all have better suspension components than the '05.

BTW I currently own an '03, '05 & '06 YZ125's. My '06 is a truely incredible bike.

thanks i guess im going to go with a 05 and up 125 then

doesnt alot of r&d go into ktms 2 strokes? i see they their 125 still has that non aluminum looking one

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Great post SpDyKen! I've had my eye on a newer YZ125 but was unclear on whether the differences were that great between the 05's on up. I will probably start keeping my eye open for a nice 06.

That said, Blink... I'd say, if you can afford a new bike, by all means buy a newer bike. If you can't, don't hesitate to look at the steel framed YZs. I have a 01 YZ125 and can vouch for it as a solid bike.

Also, a couple of my buddies ride KTM 2Ts and I can also vouch for their solid power, impressive parts list and reliability. Don't shy away from a KTM if you come across a nice used one. They are NICE bikes.

Just don't get too caught up in aluminum vs steel frames. Find the cleanest, well maintained YZ or KTM that you can afford and you'll be happy.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
While I agree that the newer YZ would be nicer(est) I also think the older, ie. 97 era, bikes are worth there weight in gold. Basically the same engine and other components. True parts will become a tad harder to find but I've not had that problem. I have a 1997 YZ125 that, with the right rider, can go out on the weekend and win (I'm not that guy). So, if you're just looking for a dependable bike for the occasional MX don't count out the earlier YZ125.

Top Bottom