yz250f question compared to a 125 2stroke

macscr125

Aug 24, 2004
i have a 2001 cr125 that i got a great deal on about 3 months ago, i ride it every once in a while its just hard for me to get used to that 2 stroke motor since i've always rode 4 stroke quads and this is the first bike ive ever owned. my question is im thinking of selling my 2003 z400 and my dirtbike and buying a new yz250f, does this bike have an easier powerband to get used to than my cr? and how much more maintenence is involved in the four stroke? also does it have more top speed than my cr?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
does this bike have an easier powerband to get used to than my cr -- yes, the YZ250F power is much smoother than a 2-stroke, it has instant power, strong dependable power with a twist of the throttle, requires little clutch work compared to the 125

and how much more maintenence is involved in the four stroke -- in my experience, a little less - change oil regularly, clean oil and air filter regularly, check valve clearances in regular intervals (takes about 30 minutes to check valves), should get longer life out of the clutch since you won't have to use it as much, should get about the same life (maybe more) out of the top end/bottom end as a 125, might want to replace valves/springs after 2-3 seasons

also does it have more top speed than my cr -- it will have more HP at lower RPMs and more peak HP, but won't have that much more top speed. If you're focused on top speed, change your gearing (like go to a bigger front sprocket)

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
the 4stroke 250 does not really have a power band it just pulls from down low all the way to the top.If I were you I would deffinantly go for the 250f.I have an 02cr250 and want to get rid of it to get a 250f because I just cant use all that power that the cr250 has to offer.As for your quad,thats a great ride,I would try to keep that and just sell the 125 so that you have both to ride.Tough decission but if you want to give up quads for good than follow your original plan,you deffinantly wont be dissapointed.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The "F" bikes are very confidence inspiring. The power is always there. They are a lot less tiring to ride too.

Nikki has a lot of experience with the 4 strokes, so if she says they are easy to maintain, I'd believe her (I haven't gotten that far in the ownership experience). I too worried about "additional" maintenance...until I test rode a few 250F's. After an extend ride I figured "who cares if it costs more to maintain...it's worth it". If it doesn’t cost much more, even better!

Put it this way, I don't miss my 125.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
My son was racing a 2001 CR125 for about 1 season when I busted my collarbone and he jumped on my YZ250F to finish the season. His results improved immediately and I have noticed a bit less maintanence aside from 2 freak occurrances. On the 125 we were putting in a new clutch about every 1.5 months on the 250f he is still running the origonal clutch after 2 seasons.
I also enjoy riding the 4 stroke much more then a 2 stroke since I seldom was able to ht the powerband on the 2 stroke whereas on the 4 stroke I have all the power I'll need right away.

xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
the closest thing ive ridin to youre cr is a 97. and i remember my friends father was constantly ripping that thing apart. i think after about a year, he didnt race it or anything, he replaced the clutch twice. with the 250f's your gonna find that the power will be there whenever you need it. i have only ridin this 250 once and cannot tell you in full detail about its abilities. just remeber, it MOVES, although the power is more controllable than that of a 2 stroke.

Top Bottom