FOUR 41

Aug 22, 2002
The forks on my '99 YZ400F feel weird to me. I also ride a 2001 yz250f and have changed the springs to the next stiffer rate on both ends. The 250 forks pop right back up after I compress and the fork slides easily. The 400 fork compresses and stays lower. Would this be caused by just
a weak rebound setting? What would cause this. Also, the fork compresses with low weight, but doesn't feel like it slides as easily. Is there anything that could wear out and cause this?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Or fork tubes binding from axle misalignment or not centered .Try to loosen everything up with the bike on a stand and then try to center the axle and or wiggle the triple clamps with the front wheel between your knees , You know like the way you have to straighten a Tweaked front end after a nast spill. Then retighten . Might help .

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I didn't know about fork bind the first time I rebuilt my forks I put them back on and they were super stiff/harsh, it ended up being fork bind. Make sure your forks are straight (alignment) then loosen up your axle clamp bolts and spin the front wheel, while it is spinning grab the front brake. Repeat that a couple of times then tighten one side, repeat, then tighten the other side and you should be good to go. This is by advice of Jer.

FOUR 41

Aug 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice the front end feels a lot better after loosening everything up and lining it up. I also started tinkering with the compression and rebound settings and found out the guy that had it was running 19 clicks out on compression and 1 out on rebound. That leaves a pretty screwed up fork! Does anybody know what the stock front and rear settings are for this bike and how much sag to run? I guessing sag should be 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 inches based off my 250f, but I don't know.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I was amazed also at how much affect that fork bind has! I can't tell you exact specs for the YZF400 forks but on most forks stock they are about half way out on the clickers for a starting point. I would start at about 12 clicks out compression and 12 clicks out rebound and go from there. Sag should be around 100mm.

Top Bottom