mx_453

Feb 7, 2003
I was wondering if anyone has heard any new news about the YZ450's clutch? I read a while back about some people saying that they are a little notchy, now after finally riding mine I have found what they are talking about. You know the clutch-in creep, and the take off shutter. I was wondering what some of you have done to fix the problem. I came across the GYT book and saw a clutch kit in there for a $110. Is that what some of you have done rather then the Hinson?

bigc

Jun 3, 2003
i have heard if you take out the steel plates and flip them over this will help.I did not get a chance on mine to do this because my brand new 450 lasted a big 2 hrs before shooting pieces out the front of the engine case.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The "fix" from Yamaha was fairly simple.  They replaced the inner most clutch fiber with a 02 426 plate.  The actuator arm was shortened 4 mm and a set of spring spacers from the 02 426.  I no longer have the grabby clutch.  It worked.

BTW, if your bike is less than 30 days old, Yamaha will fix it free.  They did not put out a dealer notice but it is available.

mx_453

Feb 7, 2003
Thank you for your information. If you go onto Yamaha's web site you can check out their accessories and see the kit that I am talking about. The kit includes a new accuator arm and seal, and all new clutch plates with different rear spacer plates. I ordered on from the shop that I ride for and should have it in the bike for the weekend. Anyone got any other hop-ups that they have tried and like for the 450?

The 450 is (in my opinion) way better than the 426. So if anyone is looking for a 2002 YZ426F let me know, I might know where I can find one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom