endosports

Jan 10, 2002
I just did a search and didn't find any write ups.

2001 Rm 250 is having some problems with the clutch. The action is not smooth at all and is very difficult to ride. On top of all that it goes through tires like I have never seen before.(chunks them out after 2 rides)

Is anyone else out there with the same problems. The stock clutch has been inspected and shows no sign of wear. :think:

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
use EBC cork-based clutch plates. buy the kit, it will come with stiffer springs and steel driven plates. Smooths the action right out, but drags abit more than stock when the clutch is pulled in.
as for your tire, do you ride on the street?? what kind of tire??

BTW -- I posted the same suggestion about the clutch last week and have probably posted this about 6 or 7 times in the last year. Do a search on RM CLUTCH

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah, it's been disgussed before. I have the 01 and it get graby and a little notchy while shifting. I change the oil every 3 rides and use 10-30 weight Chevron. It seems to work great and is pretty cheap to do. The stock clutch is kinda grabby but I haven't gone through any tires though. Are you riding on hard terrain? What type of tire are you using?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
The tires that have been used are 756, m78, and m604. The bike has been ridden in hard terrain, but in all my time I have never seen a 250 chunk out differnent tires so fast. The side nobs are in perfect shape and the middle ones are wasted.

Thanks for the info, I will try the EBC clutch kit and the right oil.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
check the air pressure in the tires. sound like it may be too low or high. it should be between 12 and 15 psi. I've had good luck w/ Dunlop 756 and Bridgestone 604s in the past; no chunking. I don't run them more than 10 or 12 rides, though.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
756's here too, great tire, no chunkin. Run about 12-14 psi. Running on hard terrain will chunk a soft terrain tire (harder rubber). I chunked the crap out of a real soft terrain tire when I rode on hard pack and rocks. Try running in a higher gear and clutchin it more. What sprokets are you running, sounds like way too much wheel spin.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I have a 02 RM 250 that had a grabby clucth I too replaced it with a EBC and put the stiffer springs every other one 3 of the stock and three of the heavy duty EBC ones and I also put a "MAGNUM" billet basket in. the clutch is awsome now I highly recommend this setup I paid 139.00 for the basket, it was much less than a Hinson and seems to be doing real good well worth the money.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I was thinking about doing a basket change when I changed my clutch too. Thanks for the info zorlac.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
BTW- the 2003 RM's are supposed to have new clutch plates. I'm assuming that they will be the same as the KX. I've heard of people using KX plates in their RM clutches to cure the grabbiness.
Maybe that was the reason that Suzuki teamed w/ Kawi in the first place...to get their plates!

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
take the stock cluthes,plates,springs and throw them away.I had the same problem on my 98 rm250,it shuddered then engaged hard.I bought a hinson clutch basket and ebc complete clutch set and it was smooth as can be.I bought my 2000 rm250 new clutch action was bad also but just replaced the clutch with ebc kit for about $80.00 dollars and it works great and is still working great.By the way on the 98 I replaced the basket first and it still did the same thing,don't by a basket do clutch kit first. Robby

Top Bottom