bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
hey everyone this is my very first post I have been at thumpertalk abit when I was thinking about getting a new 4-stroke mxer but ive decided 2 go with a 2stroke prob 01-02 models what brand of the big 5 has the best 01 or 02 125 mxer. thanks alot
Bully

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
5 brands - at least 5 different opinions :)
my personal fav would be the YZ (i don't like KTM though they have a very strong motor)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Yamaha. Don't let anyone tell you that the oversized carb makes it a "...top end only machine." I owned one and raced woods with it. Jet it right and enjoy.

Responds really well to Boyesen power reeds and 9 oz Steahly flywheel weight.
Doesn't shift well with Yamalube...loves Spectro Clutch Saver SX.
Runs better with a plug one hotter than stock (I think stock is a BR9...go with BR8).

bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
Ive read a lot of good things about the 02 rm125 and the 02 yz 125 which would be easier to ride and has the most top end longetivity

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Well , they all have their weak and strong points , so you will get different opinions ....
Some people find KTM suspension from these years unrideable in stock condition , some people think the CR´s have too little power , and so on...
I think its a matter of looking closely at what you are being offered , local dealer support for parts and so...
The Suzuki guys will probably flame me for this , but the yellow bikes have been the ones with the most expensive repairs here , gearboxes clutches and so...
We had a Honda from 01 and liked it very much , good build quality etc...

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
My son rides a 01 CR 125. It has been an excellent bike. He moved up from an XR 80 and has never looked back. It gets some track time, but is mostly used as a woods bike. We do "most" of the required maintenance in the Honda manual and have never had a problem with the bike.

Top Bottom