01 250f making it start like the 02

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
do you have the "drill" down pat?

I own a '01, a friend of mine just bought an '02, and is having just as hard time as starting it on the break in as i did. He gets extremely frustrated with it, especially when wrecking and not having the drill down. the main thing is not to flood it. I wish I knew or heard that the '02 was much easier to start. If there was some kind of replacement igntion coil or something, to make the '01 fire no problems at all, that would be great. Mine is pretty reliable now, the other ride, at 30 degrees, it was finicky though. I dont know, but I will keep my ears posted with my friends '02 to see if it starts easier in the future.... lots of luck.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Thanks a lot for the link jimcinlb. I am about to purchase an '02 WR250F and I was wanting to learn the "drill" before I get frustrated (a little pre-delivery training). These videos are great (and so is DRN).

hotdigatee

Nov 4, 2001
My '01 WR250 couldnt be more easy to start-
There is sooooooo much negative hype about starting these things

ITS DAMN EASY! 1st 2nd kick Every time without fail. Hot/Cold/UpsideDown

F-Pilot

Jun 2, 2001
I have an '02 YZ 250F and it doesn't like to start just like my friends '01's.
Read the post a few down from this, I know the problem but don't have a correction for it yet.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I read somewhere that the YZ/WR 250 F’s didn’t start well until they were broken in and the jetting was dialed? I don’t have any experience with them, I want one but am staying away from them because I had a XR600 that gave me fits when it was hot, with or without a DRILL!

Kevin

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by hotdigatee
My '01 WR250 couldnt be more easy to start-
There is sooooooo much negative hype about starting these things

ITS DAMN EASY! 1st 2nd kick Every time without fail. Hot/Cold/UpsideDown

Ditto::)

My WR250f is the easiest to start 4 stroke I've ever had(xr600, klx340). It's only 4 weeks old. 2 things. When I first got it the fuel screw was set from the factory at .05 turns out. I would do the starting drill and no fire. So I gave it 2 squirts of gas when cold + choke and it fired right up. When hot I would give it one squirt w/o hot start. Basically first find tdc, push it past(with the decomp. lever),Bring the kick starter back to top,1 squirt if hot w/o the hot start on, 2 if cold, and it fired all the time.

this was w/ a stock bike w/ only free mods. grey wire,airbox top and snorkle. but pipe baffle in.

Once I dialed in the fuel screw, 2 turns out. I use the normal prescribed drill and it fires all the time.

I also added a WB E-Series pipe and did the throttle stop at this time.

I think most of the problems are simply jetting related. I ran into 2 guys with the same bike, both claiming staring woes. I showed them these techniques and their bikes fired right up. good luck

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
scar tissue, or anyone....I'm not concerned about the starting, I'm sure I can master that...but how does this bike perform on slow and tight woods trails in first gear? Do you have to keep revving it? Or can you gear it better for tight trails. I often just enjoy woods riding slowly and quietly...is this bike capable? and with some level of performance?

And I keep hearing they are loud. Can you tone them down reasonably and will it still perform. Any sound comparisons with other bikes after the WR250F has been quieted? Thanks.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
germacheks:

Stock the WR's are very very quiet. The Canadian models have a welded tip so you cannot remonve the stock baffles. That said: its also extemely restrictive. The bike are good with teh stock pipe, but if you bolt on an aftermarket pipe. It becomes a real blast but the noise definately goes up.

My new wr250f was 93 dbs at fast idle with a WB E series pipe and 12 disks. 103dbs at half throttle. Stock it was in the 80's.

Re: performance on tight trails. The WR's are made for that. I rode mine last weekend through some mountian trails in Biig Bear, CA. It handled great. the WR heavier flywheel helped the withthe boulder ladden sections. My buddy ws on his XR and we switched he was amazed at what my bike a can do. If you want to just putt around a lot of bikes will do fine, but the wr250 allows you to kick it up when you want to. FYI I'm coming off a XR600, KLX 340, CR250, and CR500. this is the most fun bike(for all terrain) I've had yet. Just my .02

Top Bottom