bailout123

Sep 1, 1999
Guys/Gals
I need your help with this one. I have a 01 CR250 that I can't get jetted right... I know I'm close, but I can't explain all that spooge.
I'm at 1100 FT MSL Temp 76 F. I'm running a 30 Slow jet, S-7 Needle jet, H2-75 Needle second clip, 430 Main and air screw at 1.75. It runs much better with the S-7 but I'm getting a lot of spooge still. The plug looks very close to the perfect one Eric has on this page http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/sparkplugs.html but I have oil all the way up the threads and tons of spooge coming out the pipe. Any Ideas? How can I tell whether it is the low, mid or top that is causing the spooge?
Thanks,
Bailout

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by bailout123
How can I tell whether it is the low, mid or top that is causing the spooge?
Thanks,
Bailout

You can run it at those throttle openings for a good distance and read the plug after you shut it down.

I.E. For the main jet, leave plenty of room to get the bike going (try to be heading back to where your tools are). Get it up into 3rd or 4th gear near the bottom of the gear. Open her up all the way and let the bike run through the gear. Hit the kill switch after the bike has ran through the gear. Coast back to your tools, and continue to inspect your plug.

You can do this at different throttle openings to diagnose the different carb circuits. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bailout123

Sep 1, 1999
Faded,
This may sound like a dumb question, but I keep getting different answers.
Do I coast in the gear that I'm in or do I try to down shift it to neutral?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
You can just pull in the clutch and coast in gear, no need to try and shift it into nuetral. For a better overview of this complete topic, try this link...

You need to chop the throttle as well, which the link above describes. Here:

At the end of your full throttle run simultaneously push the kill button, chop the throttle and pull in the clutch. This procedure is often refereed to as a " plug chop". It is important to perform a plug chop exactly as described. If you allow the engine to run or leave the throttle open for even a few seconds after the plug chop the plug reading will be invalid. Now remove the spark plug and carefully look at its color.

I guess I told you wrong by forgetting this step. Try this, and read through the above link, I think you'll find it very informative. I know I did. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom