scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
I just noticed that I have a small leak in one of my fork seals on my '01 CR250. I had them revalved not long ago and don't really want to pay someone to fix this problem. I have maintenanced my older (non-cartridge) forks on my '94 CR250 but haven't torn the newer style down before.
If cleaning around the seal lip with a business card doesn't do the trick, I will probably want to do the repair myself.
Any tricks or hints that may save me some grief? Any special tools I can make? (I have access to a machine shop)

Also, if cleaning around the seal lip fixes the problem, how much oil would have needed to leak out to cause handling problems due to imbalance between the forks?
It's not running down the fork tube, only collecting a little oil/dirt around the seal and even less at the bottom of the fork tube. I've only ridden it for probably a couple of hours like this before I noticed it.
Thanks,
Scott

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
It's unlikely that you lost much fluid if the leak was that minor, but better that change oil in both while you got them apart. There is a good "tear down" description in the "downloads" area of Jer's site (MX Tech). As far as tools, all you will need is a "holder", described in the Honda manual and a method of removing the 50mm top caps. No other special tools required....gotta love those TC :)

Top Bottom