kimbo50

Jun 10, 2008
I have a 01 CR 250 that has begun to leak oil from around the countershaft seal.. I have already replaced the seal and O ring once and it is still leaking. Does anyone know what the trick is for this repair? Is anyone having the same problem? :cool:

kimbo50

Jun 10, 2008
yeah I sure did and I believe that if I can't get it to quit after my ride this weekend I will machine a new sleeve myself and increase the OD of the sleeve by a few thousanths to increase the squeeze on the seal. Thanks for the reply. :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is the c-clip slot or counter shaft worn? Are there burrs or ridges cutting the seal? Try putting tape over the slot when you slide the seal on, like good electric tape.

kimbo50

Jun 10, 2008
I do noit believe there is any wear on my countershaft, I checked the shaft last night with an dial indicator, it's not bent and there is no movement in the bearing. The O ring slides onto the shaft easily and only tightens onto the shaft when you install the seal collar. The seal never sees any sharp edges as it only rides on the collar. My thought is that possibly I just got a collar that was machined a little small on the OD and was still within tolerance, and I need to purchase another one or make one. :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is correct, forgot that set up. They do not wear the whole collar, it would have ridges in it. The seal is seated all the way? Not crooked? The thickness of the sprocket plays a factor in this set up also, is it the correct one and unblemished?

kimbo50

Jun 10, 2008
I finally just machined a new seal collar with some slight modifications and yeah, it's working great. No more oil all over my frame. I'm sure this fix will last the lifetime of the seal. :nod:

Top Bottom