jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Dealer cost for a *200* is around 3400 from what I was able to discern while haggleing with my dealer on my bike. They also claim to have a fixed 150 shipping and setup charge. I ended up paying 3750 out the door.

Sage has a 2001 220 for 3800 bucks which I'm assuming is a new bike. See www.sagesdirtandstreet.com and go to the KDX Parts page for more info.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My dad owns a dealership, and I just bought a new 2002 KDX 220R from him, so I have some insight on this.

If someone bought a brand new 2002 KDX 220R out the door (assuming similar sales tax, freights, prep, etc. costs) for $4,000, then the dealer will be out of business very soon, as they lost a couple hundred bucks on the deal.
(I live in Michigan, and the sales tax is 6%.)

You'd be surprised at how little a dealer actually makes on a $4,400 MSRP dirt bike. Very small gross margin as a percentage. Considering that people are haggling over a couple percentage points on the bike, but not think twice about spending hundreds of dollars on gear, graphic kits, hop-ups, etc., it's a little ridiculous.

Also factor in that the dealer must floor-plan (finance) the cost of the bike until it is sold. As an example, at the end of a slow snowmobile season (lack of snow), what does a dealer do with 30 snowmobiles that didn't sell. Remember that their cost is still being financed while they are in storage until the start of the next season.

I'm all about getting a fair deal, but sometimes people forget about supporting their local businesses, and the convienance of having a good, local dealer that you can trust.

Just my opinion...

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
that might be... but I can tell you that you can buy an 02 KDX220 for 4,000 here.

On my 01 DRZ"E", I paid 4700 out the door. thats 700+ below MSRP

The dealer seems to be thriving and has been around for a long time.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
02 KDX 220R $4,000 OTD???

What's the sales tax in Nebraska? This could be the descrepency.

I bought my including all "true" dealer costs (freight/prep, etc.), including sales tax, and it was definately not $4,000 OTD.

It's my Dad, so I don't think that he is ripping me off! ;)

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
Could you please post the contact info for these dealerships? I would like to support the local dealership, but they want 5100$ OTD for a KDX....which seems a tad bit ridiculous to me... I would appreciate this info. Thanks.

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
What's the sales tax in Nebraska? This could be the descrepency.

Awe, there's the difference. HAD I paid sales tax, it would have been another $200 for a total of $4200.

Being non-resident, active duty military member some things we pay full tax on, some we only pay a portion of the tax, and some things we don't pay any tax on.

I looked at the paperwork at lunch and this fell in to the no tax category.

State tax is 5%, depending what city/town you are in add up to another 1.5%

Is that more in line with what you'd expect?

Mac

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by ammomac

Awe, there's the difference. HAD I paid sales tax, it would have been another $200 for a total of $4200.
:
:
Is that more in line with what you'd expect?

Mac

Do you have an DRZ400E and an '02 KDX 220R? Did you acutally buy the KDX? Or is your paperwork just a quote?

If you paid $4,000 OTD (no sales tax required), then the dealer must be counting on making money selling you accessories, gear, parts, etc. Sounds like a loss-leader kind of setup.

For a dealer to front that much $ and floor space to only make $75 gross profit on a bike is crazy, IMHO. By the time you cover overhead, sales commission, etc., you've lost money.

You got a smokin' deal!

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
I've got the DRZ, my son's riding partner bought the KDX for 4000. I had been talking with the dealership thinking I wanted to put my son on a KDX, but I ended up putting him on a KLX instead.

The dealership had offered it to me at 4000, when I passed it was bought at 4000 by my buddy.

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
Would I have to pay tax, if I was purchasing this from out of state?

OT is there a difference between the one that I would recieve via ordering it, compared to the california model that I would purchase locally?

And what are generally shipping costs for something of this nature?

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
Would I have to pay tax, if I was purchasing this from out of state?

No

OT is there a difference between the one that I would recieve via ordering it, compared to the california model that I would purchase locally?

That I don't know

And what are generally shipping costs for something of this nature?

That I dunno either. I've shipped a couple of bikes through forward air from Omaha to the west coast and the most expensive was about 350. I think it would be up to the dealership if he would be willing to ship.

StarCity MotorSports in Lincoln 1 800 439 BIKE

snowbizzle

May 6, 2002
Thanks for all the input on KDX 220 R pricing, but nobody mentioned the actual dealer cost for the bike. How much does the dealer pay Kawasaki for this bike? I'm guessing around $3,800.... is that right? that's about a 15% markup to msrp. also, does anyone know the actual cost of building this bike... i.e. what type of markup does Kawasaki make?? thx

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Check out sages page at www.sagesdirtandstreet.com . He has an 01 listed for $3799 out the door or 02's for 3999. He advertises free shipping so i asked him about it. he said if you want to do some motor mods etc.. he could work a deal. He does head milling and cylinder porting and has all the pipes and stuff you might want. You might be able to get the bike with some mods and cool parts installed for you for the price the dealers want in your area. I'm not sure but the tax might be up to you to take care of when registering in cali. If ya know anyone in Oregon have them register it there(no sales tax)

et998

Mar 24, 2002
i paid $4,490 out the door in metro atlanta ga.out of 5 dealers,only one had a kdx and it was a 220 which is what i wanted.i may have found one hundreds of miles away but for a hundred bucks less?these bikes do not sit around on showroom floors here.i happily now know why.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Associate01, I bet the dealer added a extended warranty. My bike cost me $4200 plus tax. Tell your local dealer that the Kawasaki web site list your bike for $4299, whats-up..

Top Bottom