02 showa shock

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Curious as to the top out spring on the seal head on the showa shock. how much of a factor does this spring effect the rebound or does it! It seems to me it must play a roll do to the stiff high speed stack.

thanks russ

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Howsit RUSS 17 ? I think that part is just there to keep the shock from clanking from the top out sensation . Did you notice how little the rebound stack is ? maybe that has a bit to do with it . Almost every time I work a bigger Honda shock I end up adding a bit of rebound. And most comment they like it . Maybe Honda thinks when your braking into a flat corner it will cushion the loading of the front end when the shock tops out or when skimming whoops etc. ?? Im sure others will have Ideas also . I think its good if youre linkage is a little sloppy it might help keep everything a bit tighter feeling . Less clanking around .

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Yeah! Dean I went brain dead in my thinking or lack of. OLD Age. your right on the stack though .

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Gentlemen,
What you may notice however is how stiff the high speed is? Honda is trying to make a light and responsive stack to prevent packing, yet having to double up on the high speed as so much of the deflection is used up with a light stack.. Relatively speaking.. Its an revistation of an old school idea... Like late 80's for real..

As for the top-out that has a lot more do to do with negatively loading the spring at the top of the stroke. WP does this as well but they use a spring that actually works!

BR,
Jer

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
i was amazed when i looked at the rebound stack on a 03 crf450. With the shock on the bike hs reb. feels ultra fast and ls feels dead. I guess the topout spring makes it feel this way on ls rebound.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
DB,
Not the spring dude, the valving.. The low-speed is quick, for sure, but the agressive highspeed gives the bike the dead feel.

The spring is so light Gas pressure alone exstends it..

BR,
Jer

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
(#1).. Its an revistation of an old school idea... Like late 80's for real..

(#2) WP does this as well but they use a spring that actually works!

#1 Okay, so is Honda’s revisitation of this ‘old’ idea any better or can you get more positive results by using a different technique that is more along the lines of today’s standards?

#2 Is there a spring made for the Showa shock that works or are we doomed?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I also thought that it may help to lessen the effect of pitching the bike while in the air by tapping the rear brake > When pro guys do it it looks real smooth but when some begginners are 30 feet up and tap the rear brake too hard you can kind of see the rear wheel sort of clunk . Id wager to bet that most riders would never know its there or miss it if it were gone .

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Hay dean on my old KTMs with the super sharp rear brakes i could hear and feel that clunk using the rear brake on jumps.As well as stalling in mid air it put me off using the rear brake on jumps.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000

Fair play... Well most ideas in this endevor seem to be reworks of old ideas, so no surprise really.. Yes I belive there are far bettter ways of doing suspension settings.. I think slower riders will like the standard CR settings more than say better earlier models..

As for the spring there is plenty of room.. I've been thinking I might do some work with that, but I've had to many more pressing ideas, that might yeild better gains..

BR,
Jer

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
No offence Marcus but boy is it funny when u see someone do that. Has it stopped raining there yet? ps how can that [mxa] magazine possibly think that the 03 yz`s have good suspension? My thing feels like a jack hammer.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
dbrace its funny as long as its not me on top of the dead engine 15ft up;) wow thats one way to ensure you have no more kids.And what i said is true i can no longer easily use the rear brake to bring the front down-i have to have a fast rebound on the shock to help me.I havnt had the pleasure of a 03 YZ-thought they had made them better by making the frame less rigid?i know they(MXA) siad the 02 was good but a bit stiff-yes like a iron girder stiff.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…