tchamberlain

Mar 28, 2002
My 02 YZ250 kickshaft broke last night. It cracked the right side engine case too. I have had the bike since new and take excellent care of it. Back in March of this year the shaft broke also. I took the shaft to dealer to show them what happened to the part. The shaft tore arart like a candy cane. The actual metal cylinder/shaft for the kick starter that goes through the case broke...twice.
Yamaha won't help. I don't mind buying parts if I break something or it wears out, but this is ridiculous. Have any of you guys heard of this happening?? First timejust the kick shaft assy $140. This time the assy $140 and case $180 shipping $25.

I was just talking about gettng a new bike since mine is getting up there is age and hours. Oh well. I still love the bike.
Tim

yzmarcimus

May 7, 2003
I had a similar thing happen to my 01 yz125. I don't know how similar they are (125 - 250) but I think what happened was that when my son gave it a kick to start it, he didn't use enough effort and the bike started backwards on the rebound. It ran for a very short period of time, made some noise and shut off. It did not split the kick shaft but it did break the crankcase cover and split the splined tab (splined to the inside end of the shaft) that fits in a recess of the case cover. That is what broke the case. I ordered my parts from www.cycle-parts.com, 86 for the case cover, 36 for the shaft.

Hope this helps,

Mark

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I just broke mine on my 2002 YZ250 as well. I went to start it, and it just came apart. Luckily I didn't break the case, or anything else.. But I'm wondering about this now, hopefully I don't have a locked up engine or something more expensive.

Well, I gotta bite the bullet and buy a part.. Looks like the whole assembly is one piece.

Jon

Top Bottom