03 CR85 Jetting?

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Anyone at sea level get this thing figured out yet? Changed everything one number leaner and it still seems to bog on the low end. Tryed different premix and still foul plugs. I have rejet alot of CR's over the years, they always come too rich, but I would like some opinoins to sort through.

Thanks
Philip

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hey Philip... I don't have direct experience with the CR, but on my YZ and KX 80's, I had to drop down a heat range on the plug to prevent fouling. So if the stock plug is a 9, then try an 8. On the low end bog, have you raised the clip on the needle and went to a smaller pilot jet already and it still bogs? Check your air screw. When the bike is at an idle, how many turns out is the air screw to get the rpm sound at it's max? Also maybe fiddle with the idle and see if that helps some. Good luck!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks Nikki

I have changed every circuit (Pilot, needle,and main) I did go up a clip and after the plug fouled again I had to put one of mine in it which is a colder plug.
That with some closing of the air screw it seemed to help and ran a little better. I was just concerned, because from my experience I never had to go more than one number up or down to get jetting dialed in, but this bike seems like I might have to jump 2 needle sizes leaner. Just looking for some numbers of others before I do that. I am still getting a good bit of spooge so i know i am not too lean. Part of that is josh is not on the pipe as much since his crash. My next step is to run C-12 fuel and see if its a little cleaner. He is a little frustrated that DAD can't figure it out. :silly:

Thanks
Philip

MXW

Sep 18, 2001
Try this jetting spec
Pilot jet 52
Std needle 3rd clip
Main Jet 122
Air screw 2 turns out

This should sort out the problem, if youstill get a slight flat spot try a slightly richer needle (Part no 16012-GBF-831)

Jason

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
That's odd. We are close to sea level @ 350 feet. Our CR85 runs cleanly throughout. I went one down on the main because we use a 50:1 oil. Mind you... it's still a little cold up here. THe bike hasn't seen 50 deg weather yet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…