Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Just picked up an 03 CR85 as a playbike. It has had the cylinder recall done already, so that should help with jetting cleanliness. I haven't touched anything yet, but I do know that the bike has the stock needle in the #1 clip position (one clip lenaer than stock) with the stock main and pilot jets. I have the AS set at only 1/2 turn out because it has a slight lean bog with any more turns out, so I guess I'll go up one size on the pilot to help that, and then adjust the AS accordingly. I really can't complain with the way the bike carbuerates, as it runs pretty cleanly as is. My main concern is the two plugs I have fouled on cold start-up. This contradicts my thought of richening the pilot circuit, though. I probably half-caused this by trying to clean the bike out before it was warmed up enough, but I have my 250 jetted properly and it has never done this? The bike also sounds like it bogs (not a lean bog sound, more of a flooded and won't start sound) when started sometimes. It also likes to bog/cut out sometimes when lugged way down. I am unfamiliar with small-bore two-strokes like these, and it is hard to tell if this is just the way they sound, or jetting may be off? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Brian

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Most of these mini's seem to be jetted too rich on the needle. Since the needle controls 1/4 to 3/4 throttle it is the most used jetting circuit. This thread lists the stock Honda needles and the optional ones. If your plugs are wet or fouling there is a good chance you could benefit from trying the optional leaner needles from Honda.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=131634

On our YZ85 we actually went richer on the pilot but way leaner on the slide and needle. One size leaner slide with the Kawasaki NAPE needle. This added a bunch (for a 85) of low end.

Top Bottom