03 kdx220...stock piston vs. wiseco

soldsoul4foos

May 5, 2005
ok,

i was just reading some threads where peepz recommended changing the stock piston to the wiseco. on a scale of 1-10, how important is this? do alot of stock pistons pop prematurely?

thanks,
bill

soldsoul4foos

May 5, 2005
Ok, that's all i need to hear. So that is the piston, wrist pin, and clip i assume. add a gasket and I'm good to go right?

Since I'm prolly going to ride another month or 2, I'll probably do this in a week or so.

thanks fellas,
bill

soldsoul4foos

May 5, 2005
ok, last question...where's the best place to get it?

aren't there just 2 gaskets?

thanks. this board is like so valuable. it's like having my own mechanic on retainer kind of. thanks a ton fellas.

bill

'01 KDX 220

Sep 22, 2005
soldsoul4foos said:
Ok, that's all i need to hear. So that is the piston, wrist pin, and clip i assume. add a gasket and I'm good to go right?

Since I'm prolly going to ride another month or 2, I'll probably do this in a week or so.

thanks fellas,
bill

You also will need a new wrist pin bearing. Wiseco kits don't come with one...they are like $10.

Might as well also get the full "top end gasket kit" so that you have everything you may need.

'01 KDX 220

Sep 22, 2005
soldsoul4foos said:
aren't there just 2 gaskets?

bill

get the kit, believe me. Just the top end kit, not the full kit.

It'll have all the orings, KIPS gasket, etc, if I recall correctly from when I did my old 200 top end.

soldsoul4foos

May 5, 2005
sorry, nevermind. i should of looked before i posted. i can get everything from fredette racing. piston kit and top end gasket set about $150.

u know, even though this is my first off road bike, i had 3 wheelers as a kid like 15 years ago. i'd forgotten how much fun it is to work on bikes. i can't wait to puff them all out this winter.

i have 1 ttr90 for my son, getting a 2nd for my other son, and my wife has a ttr125. from what i've read, the oversize carburator on both those models fixes all the sluggish/starting problems completely and gives it a ton more throttle response. next year is gonna RULE!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
seancza said:
Just be carefull with the cir clips. Make sure they're seated properly.
The clip has to be positioned correctly. There is only ONE CORRECT WAY. Follow yor service manuels instructions. If it comes loose and falls into the lower end your're SCREWED.
I did see instructions on this site, so search.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom