03 kx 125 or 03 rm125 ???

Mxrracer973

Mar 4, 2002
Ive been riding/racing mx for a couple of years , im almost intermediate , but at the moment here I am without a bike and wondering what to get out of the two bikes , the reason for wanting one of these two bikes is that they have good contingency programs , and yes ill be going to all of the big races. And I just got off a 03yz125 it was a fast bike but I couldnt get the suspension right for anything. Before that I was on a 00cr125 for 2 years It was a full race bike basically and it was great with power after all the money spent ,but the yz was way faster in stock form than my cr in stock form. I dont like the yz125 , the cr125 to slow out the box for me and I already went that route , and no ktm for me just havent looked that way. Now I like kawasakis though ive never rode one of there 125's 250's just 80's and 100's and my minibikes that were kx held up great , so yea im looking for some reliability and good power and here the 03kx125 is good thats were im leaning at the most but the team I used to race for said the Rm125's were way nice too but I noticed they break alot and my other freind that rides for honda of houston said the same thing because he rode suzukis for years. so what does everyone think kx or rm

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i have ridden the 03 kx, the 02rm and the 02 125ktm SX. i found the rm had better power turned real well and had better suspension than the kx. the suspension is bit soft though, but it worked real well. i am 6'2" and the kx was very very small for me, the rm was great, the rm and the ktm are the only bikes i have ridden that didnt feel small. athough the ktm is supposed to have the power, i didnt think it was as good as the rm, i found the rm is very easy to get on the pipe and stays there very well. didnt think much to the suspension on the ktm.

ive just bought a 02rm125 project bike, i havent got time to ride it yet though. its hard to give a real comparison since i didnt ride them back to back, but it was all on the same track though.

i would sit on both the kx and the rm and pick the one that fits your height best

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
I own a 02rm125 and love the way it handles,very easy to ride fast,great brakes,turns probably better than anything I,ve ridden. rode a 02 ktm sx125,the motor was very fast but the bike felt very nervous to me.I also own a ktm sx400 so I,m not bias to brand.

factoryRM

Mar 15, 2003
I used to be a big KX fan until I started racing Suzukis. The newer RM125s are so easy to get used to and the motor is really good with novice and intermediate riders. I have to agree that the rms stock suspension is a bit soft though but theres nothing that a good revalve and spring change cant do.
Ive riddin an '03 KX to its an ok bike but it just feels cramped. The power and suspension are good but I just felt while I was riding it I couldent go fast. I hope this helps with your disision.

Andrew,

Mxracer695

Jan 5, 2002
Cool cool thanks you guys by the way im also Mxracerr973 so yea and as for my height im im 5'7 142 pounds . Like you guys said im gonna have to go check the bikes out and sit on them and what have you. I havent had time because Ive been working so much to get my bike and truck this summer but its definately gonna be rm or kx because of there contingency programs. also once again im looking for reliability between the two bikes and t thats pushing me towards the kx. I understand the rm may be faster stock and better suspension but anything can be made fast and with good suspension.

Ok so which bike has better cornering and which bike is more reliable???
I really dont care about how fast it is because i used to ride a cr125 aka slow but the bike handled relatively good compared to the 03 yz 125 i just got off that was like the worst 5 months of riding i ever did and the suspension sucked and handling was terrible so yea. I just here from alot of people the suzukis are not reliable and ive seen them break quite a bit the 03rm125's i mean , Heard the kawais hold up better but I dunno.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i felt that the rm turned better. it seems that suzuki have got better in terms of build quality also, just for interest, the kx's have lost a lot of engines through a bad sparkplug problem. This is why the rm's come with the expensive plugs. they are all race bikes, and need the care and attention. Even the hondas 125's had problems with rattlely pistons last year for example

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…