nick545

Feb 18, 2006
Is there a site that tells the + 's and - 's of the 03- 06 125 sx's, kx's, yz's rm's and cr's? or is anyone willing to take the time and list the + 's and - 's of these bikes cause I heard so may opinions on which bikes are good and which ones are bad. Thanks :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
They are all good, pick one.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Actually, some of us can be somewhat unbiased ;)

For instance, I own a Suzuki, but I also like Hondas a lot - especially for their build quality. Kawasakis aren't my thing, but it's mainly that I don't like their handling characteristics. . . etc . . .

If I could recommend one thing, it would be to try and ride two or three different brands to see if you have a preference on their handling attributes.

You can always change the motor, but you're kinda stuck with the design of the frame.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Or a 2005 for that matter, the KX 250 was at the top of most of the magazines shootout. I agree with Okiewan, I think hell has frozen over :laugh: , They are all good. I recommend going to the local dealers and looking at each model, sitting on them, and then seeing which dealer will give you the best deal. You cant go wrong with any of these bikes.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Okiewan said:
BAsed on what? Your family member's 99? Thanks for making the point :p Have you ridden a 2006?

Nope. It's a 2000 my bro has. He also had a mid 90s KDX 200 and I've rode a couple others through the years.

I'm not saying I would never like a Kaw, but in general the CR's and RM's I've rode have catered more to my riding style for whatever reason.

Based on my experience as a kid, I would NEVER have thought I'd want a Suzuki, but I like the recent ones a lot.

nick545

Feb 18, 2006
JST122 said:
Or a 2005 for that matter, the KX 250 was at the top of most of the magazines shootout. I agree with Okiewan, I think hell has frozen over :laugh: , They are all good. I recommend going to the local dealers and looking at each model, sitting on them, and then seeing which dealer will give you the best deal. You cant go wrong with any of these bikes.
That's what I'm gonna try to do....... thx :)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Compared to what I see you have listed as your current bike an '86 KX 80 believe me when I say forget what anyone says bout this one is better than that one. Go for the best deal possible cause it will seem like a massive upgrade compared to your old ride.

nick545

Feb 18, 2006
MXP1MP said:
.........it will seem like a massive upgrade compared to your old ride.
:laugh: LOL you can say that again :)........................................But I need a new bike......... :| I've had so much trouble fixing that bike over and over again....when I get a new bike the only work I wanna be doing on it is regular maintanence...... :) but I'm glad I had such a broken down old bike.....If I didn't have it then I wouldn't have known half as much as I do know

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Okiewan said:
So your opinion of green bikes is based on a 6 year old bike? From all accounts of NEW (go figure) bikes, the KXF's are pretty hot.

Well, he didn't necessarily ask for new . . . It's always been my impression that the brands have maintained a certain character over the years. . .

Maybe that impression is wrong or maybe things are changing.

And yea, I'm aware that the new KXF's are nice - they're all nice. My point was not to criticize any brand - it was to say that I have personal preferences based on what info I've had.

That does NOT mean those bikes I don't like aren't good for someone else. My bro LOVES his KX and doesn't like my RM much at all.

indynotch50

Oct 13, 2004
Hey nick I have a thread in "What bike to buy" i'm not sure what size you're looking for but I am for 250s, not much different 125s as far as frames go. There is some good info in there.

It would be nice to go down to the local dealer, ride them all and pick out my favorite, but the newest one I can afford is a late 90 early 00... just a poor college kid trying to maintain no student loans....

Thanks,
Chris

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
THe latest model year 125's are all soo close that basically what it comes down to is whats your favorite color? If you want to get picky then the honda will handle the best, the ktm will have the fastest motor and the rest are a happy medium of both. Your not coming off of another 125 your moving up so whatever you get you'll get used to quickly.

Where in NJ are you Nick? I live in Vineland/Millville

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
nick545 said:
:laugh: LOL you can say that again :)........................................But I need a new bike......... :| I've had so much trouble fixing that bike over and over again....when I get a new bike the only work I wanna be doing on it is regular maintanence...... :) but I'm glad I had such a broken down old bike.....If I didn't have it then I wouldn't have known half as much as I do know

Thats my point man, doesn't matter what one you get you'll like it anyways just find a good well taken care of one that is clean go ride an enjoy it and don't look back. It's going to have more power no doubts there, you goal is mainly just find a good one that isn't beat so that way you don't have to work on it or anything. If they can't give you an educated guess on when the last time they changed the top end or oil then pass on it pay alittle more for a good one. You don't need another money pit like your KX.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
as for build quality they all suck arnt up to my standards, but ...
I have a kawi, and am very impresed with the quality compared to what people say... I have worked on may hondas and have found the quality to be lower than my kawi, but higher in certain areas... For example I have had extremely bad luck with hondas bolts... They seem to be alot softer than the ones that came stock on my kawi... Overall the worst build quality I have seen so far would be a honda trx 450... In stock form it is built like crap... mainly the stock bar clamps... Its insane how nasty they are made

I havent worked on to mant new yamahas, But there quality seems about average, I dont like their use of phillips screws...
And I have never worked on a suzuki... so I havent got a clue

From what I have seen so far the best build quality has been kawasaki and yamaha, And in certain places yamaha takes kawi... and in other places kawi takes yam

nick545

Feb 18, 2006
NacNac250F said:
THe latest model year 125's are all soo close that basically what it comes down to is whats your favorite color? If you want to get picky then the honda will handle the best, the ktm will have the fastest motor and the rest are a happy medium of both. Your not coming off of another 125 your moving up so whatever you get you'll get used to quickly.

Where in NJ are you Nick? I live in Vineland/Millville

Middlesex county.......Thanks everyone. Ima go look around for all the 125's out there and "pic one" :ride:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Honestly, I love it. I've got 15hrs on it and it's still running just as strong as new. I'm a clutch abuser, and it seems to be holding up well, stock aluminum clutch plates and all. It is so thin and light, and has a really strong powerband for a 125. I really like the little details, no-tools airfilter changes, hydro clutch, fatbars, etc. I weigh a lil over 200lbs, and it has enough power to move me around the track and with little more than a tap of the clutch, I'm rocketing out of corners. It handles like a dream and the brakes are incredible. I can almost even do 2'nd gear starts on this thing. FWIW, full race-ready with half a tank of fuel, it weighs in at 207lbs.

If you are under 180lbs, I'd even go as far to say that this thing gives little to a 250f.
Latest06125SX.JPG

If you've got any more specific questions about it, let 'em fly.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
IMHO, if any of us could ride any of these 125's to their fullest potential, we'd be room mates with Bubba or some other pro and be getting paid to do what they do...... Fact is, not one in 10,000 can do that so pick a color and ride. Each bike has it's good points and bad points and really, no one here can tell you what bike is best for you. Sit on each one and see what feels best to you, not someone else. Then buy it, maintain it and any of them should be a good bike for years to come.

Top Bottom