03 Rmx250???

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Anybody using an RM for Enduro's?
I just bought an 03 model and want to cross train it.
The 3.4 gal tank is on order, need advise for a "quiet" spark arrestor & jetting changes and any other mods that will make it friendly to me in this kind of environment.
I have been on an XR400 since 96 and a 92 KTM250EXC before that.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I've seen in Trail Rider where some guys are using the new RM successfully, but we know it's the rider's skill. I'd be curious to see how they work off road as the engine has better, more responsive low end this year.

How about gearing, as in transmission? I understand (Cycle News, saying off-road Team Suzuki/Yoshimura swapped) the gearset can be changed with a DRZ => wide ratio. Nice.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
I dunno what the DRZ gears are but mine are:
1) 27/15
2) 25/17
3) 23/19
4) 21/21
5) 20/23

Anybody have the specs on the DRZ's?

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
I've ridden the past two seasons aboard a 01 and 02 RM250. They work very well in the woods, namely for their very agile handling. Unless you're racing in some very high speeds, you may not need different gear ratios. My 01 would do 72 on the Watchdog, and the 02 about 70 with stock gearing.

Mods to both of the RM's- Steahly Flywheel weight, suspension work by Trak Control, X-ring chain, Ceet seat foam (03's are probably better foam), grippey seat cover, WER damper, FMF Torque Pipe & TCII, and Michelin tires.

Have fun with it!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Don't worry about a wide ratio transmission unless you plan on racing in the dez'. For Enduros and 'Scrambles, leave the tranny be. Change the final gearing instead. On average I usually add two teeth to the back sprocket and that tends to put the power right where you need it in the gears for the woods.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003

How heavy on the weight did you go?, was the WER hard to mount up?
Where can I find more info on the TCII?
Thanks for the info...

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
I used a 13oz on both of the bikes and that was satisfactory. I also rode a 01 with a 10oz, and it didn't seem a lot different. For the 03- From what I read, the 03 has a heavier internal flywheel weight, so you probably will need a little less. Call Steahly Off Road and they can advise you to what weight you'll want for your ability, terrain, etc.

The WER is pretty easy to mount on a 250. The frame mount (anchor) pop rivets on, the unit bolts between the fender & lower 3-clamp, and you need to make a cutout in the number plate. Be sure to have the anchor far enough forward or else the linkage won't be long enough. Go to www.werproducts.net and click around. I'm pretty sure I saw a good picture of the RM installation.

TCII- www.fmfracing.com There is also the Q silencer, which is a quieter unit, although the TCII is much quieter than a stock silencer already. Judging by the picture, it looks like the Q might be a tad longer. The TCII extends fairly far already, and the exhaust output will eventually give the rear fender a brown colored tint.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…