kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Obviously, you guys don't know what a 2-stroke is! You guys need to grow up and find out what a high performance dirt bike is! For most of us (not you), half the reason we're into motorized stuff is the sound and way it rides. I was trying to show you how I do care for our sport and neighbors but without hurting my own opinions. I'm not going to be so friggin quiet that I don't even like riding my bike anymore just because of people that don't like our sport. I am a hunter and a trapper also. I love the outdoors and mothernature. It's just that your never gonna go up to somebody that dirt bikes and see them saying that they don't like the sound of them or anything like that. I don't think it's very "polite" that you start saying crap like that about me.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I've been involved in various forms of motorsports for probably 30 years now and even after all this time, the sound of a properly tuned motor screaming its lungs out on a straightaway still gives me goosebumps. I've got hearing loss to prove it! But I also realize that same sound we all love can and will be the death of many forms of motorsports. Many people (including our riding peers) dislike the noise. Anyone else want to voice their opinion?

Last edited:

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
I hear you Gary. Sorry for taking it too far. Maybe it's because I've seen too many threads and issues regarding this type of stuff. I know that many people dislike the noise. I'll just have to try not to make that noise.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I think the most important thing is that we agree to disagree. It is important, however, that we stick together on these issues, as we have enough enemies without fighting in our own ranks.

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
Originally posted by SpeedyManiac
Noise is definitely an issue, but it can also be a safety precaution. If people can hear you, then they know you are there and are more likely to get out of the way.

I totally Agree with speedy on this one. Where I ride, there are lots of moutain bikers, and hikers. Of course sometimes they dont like the noise. But arround some of the blind corners, they just appear. Most of the time they are off the trail before you reach them, and im slowed down before I reach them, But you never know when someone is going to pop up. Just amagine going arround a corner and hitting some poor walker at 40 mph, just becasue your bikes to danm quite to hear;)

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I agree with most 4-strokes being too damn loud! Some times if they are by/ close to me ( thats me thinking they are but they are just so loud) i cant even here my YZ over those things, and im on the bike!! Poeple just dont anything that is loud, music, cars, bikes, trucks, anything!!

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
4 strokes, even stock, are way too loud! And that "being loud makes the bikes safer" thing is total crap. Being from Milwaukee, home of loud Harleys, makes me some type of expert. If your standing, walking, hiking, or bicycling in the woods and can't hear even the quietest motor approaching, you gotta be deaf! Ive been in the woods plenty and even with my bad hearing I can hear an idling chain saw hundreds of yards away. No body needs a 105db bike!

Last edited:

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Dthoms,
What the heck do you think I meant! I'm talking a high performance 2-stroke trail bike! Because most of the crap junk 4-strokes out there now are trail bikes. The KDX is the last remaining 2-stroke trail bike left!

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Well, besides the KTM, ATK, Husqvarna etc... The Kawasaki KDX200/220 are the only 2 two-stroke Japanese trail bikes bikes left!

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
Originally posted by Gary B.
4 strokes, even stock, are way too loud! And that "being loud makes the bikes safer" thing is total crap.

Gary, Im not saying that some of the bikes out there arent to loud, But some loudness is a plus. Most of the time walkers have headphones on and are just completely ablivious to whats going on arround them. And about the whole being deff thing. I remember reading earlier in this thread, someone saying they were ready for electric bikes......bet you cant hear one of those from hundreds of yards away ;)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Amen to that, Neil!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
we're talking about consideration here, folks. We could easilly veer this thread off into an anti-Harley crusade, but as much as I would enjoy that, let's stick with the topic at hand.

We need to understand that many people don't wish to hear our bikes, and we are imposing on them. A loud bike, 2 or 4 stroke can be heard for miles! As much as I love motorized toys, I will admit it would get old to hear this constant drone from my front yard.

If we are honest with ourselves, we all know there are quiet bikes and exhaust systems out there that make more than enough power. Riding ability is WAY more of a factor in a race than any exhaust mod. Good old practice will make you much faster than any obnoxious shorty silencer.

Many times I have thought that possible the loud exhaust crowd is trying to make up for a shortcoming in another area (anatomically or otherwise) although to be fair we should give a bit of understanding to the younger folks. Many of us had trouble seeing the "big picture" when we were in our teens...

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Ohhhh boy, who's drivin' this bus? Sure my bike is loud, it's a 2 stroke.

We can go on and on about which one is louder 2 vs. 4, 4 vs. 2, quad vs. moto, Wendy's vs. Subway (nevermind that last one).

The point here is don't go out of you way to make your bike louder, it's just one more nail in OUR coffin, and trust me that grave is slowly getting dug (cali noise limit, 2 stroke phase out, and land closures). :|

It's gona suck having a bike with no where to ride it, then it won't matter what the f@#! you have.

My .02, so deal with it. :think:

DBriderwg

Oct 19, 2003
My bike is so loud that i get the cops called on me everytime i crank it up i cant find anyway to make it not that loud it is a cr85 most of the time at the trails the park rangers pull me over and tell me to go home and at the races i get yelled at by people tryin to talk to one another

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by DBriderwg
My bike is so loud that i get the cops called on me everytime i crank it up i cant find anyway to make it not that loud it is a cr85 most of the time at the trails the park rangers pull me over and tell me to go home and at the races i get yelled at by people tryin to talk to one another
Try repacking your silencer, it'll even make your bike run better.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
KDXSAM>>> My '01 YZ125 is a fine trail bike... you don't need a KDX to go singletracking. And it'll OWN the KDX on the track, quiet stock exhuast and all. We, as dirtbike riders, have a respondsiblity to keep people happy with us, whether or not we like what that means. Because if we don't, we can kiss our sport goodbye. What we do affects how people feel about us, and how they will, or will not, allow us to ride on their land. And loud does not = fast. My Grand Am will smoke a fart can civic, and you can't even hear the thing run! And really, I don't think walkers and bikers will have any trouble hearing a bike coming, quiet or not. We need to get bikes quieter... the trade off for a little preformance for a LOT of noise just isn't worth it. If people would spend the money that they would spend on an aftermarket exhuast on porting and some dialed in jetting, they'd go faster and be a whole lot quieter!

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
I got my bike Db tested today.

I have a 98' XR400. PowerCoreIV (with silencer insert), Powerbomb header, dirty air filter.

88db.

Not bad. Considering the legal limit is 96Db here in California.

I thought my bike was too loud when I bought it (used). I put the silencer insert in it. Sure, I lose a little power, but you know what? It was worth it.

And to the guy that was saying the WR's are too loud:
My neighbor has a WR250 with exhaust insert from Yamaha. Its still 96db legal, so it isnt that "loud". But its gotta be the most ANNOYING sound on the planet. Its like a giant mosquito. I'd have to suggest a FMF Q if you buy a WR ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by XRpredator
The new FMF Q-series is getting there . . .

It's fairly quiet but does horrible things to power and the jetting on the Yamaha 250F, so we still have a ways to go I'm afraid.

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

It's fairly quiet but does horrible things to power and the jetting on the Yamaha 250F, so we still have a ways to go I'm afraid.

Didn't Okie post a review about a year ago on that pipe and say it only hurt off idle power?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It hurt power everywhere in my opinion.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I went to see a motocross race nearby and was amazed at how loud the uncorked 4-strokes were.  I tried to quiet my 500 by putting on the FMF QII arrester, but it was no quieter.  I figured I had 500cc's of power and could afford to knock off the edges.  I even went as far as to wrap the pipe (FMF Gold Fatty) with exhaust wrap.  It helped cut down on the amplified pinging noise of a 2 stroke, but I was concerned about the effect of less heat removal, so I removed it.

As far as the comment of buying pipes, other than the QII, I haven't seen any marketing of silent pipes.  I wasn't hoping just for 96 dB, I was hoping for less.  And I will put my money where my mouth is when one is available.

Top Bottom