04 Kdx 220

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
I recently modified the airbox and installed an FMF Woods pipe on my 04 KDX220. Unfortunately, now the bike tends to loose power and flatten out in the higher end of second and third gear.

Do I need to make modifications to the carb? Should I wait to modify the carb until I replace the silencer? :think:

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Did you rejet the bike? The stock jetting is way rich, with a pipe it gets worse. Most folks recommend the RB carb mod and some reeds to go along with an aftermarket pipe. I just sent my carb out to Ron last week. He's a heck of a guy, sent me email the day the carb was supposed to get there saying it was all done and he had questions about my jetting. I'm also waiting on a DF3 reed cage. Best thing you can do is read the section from Canadian Dave on jetting and get yours set up. My bike really got a boost from the FMF Gnarly torque pipe I put on.

Mike

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

The woods pipe (KG 35) on the 220 will limit the over rev on that bike, the KG 30 "rev" pipe is better for the bike with the design of the port timing.

42/145 and A/S at 1.5 turns out should be agood start point. Stock needle in clip #2.

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004

Mike, who is Ron and how do I send him my carb?

Paul

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure his name is Ron Black, at RB-Designs. Everybody likes his carb mod. I had mine done for my '03 kdx220. $165. It definitely gave it more top end. Good reeds will also give you more top end. Since you went with the torque pipe, you'd probably want to go with a higher tension reed valve for the most top end power. Some reed manufacturers offer low and high tension, Low tension = more low end power. High tension = more top end power.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Yeah what Tom said. My RB modded carb made it back today, but my wife didn't answer the door when the mail dude came. Now I have to got to the post office tomorrow to get it. My DF-3 showed up today too, so I need to get this stuff installed and check my jetting. The annoying thing is I need to break my new piston and rings in, so I can't really romp on it and check out the power increase if any. Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess.

Mike.

kdx2002

Mar 17, 2005
I have the same issue

Ive changed my jetting put a power core2 silencer and an FMF Gnarly and I have the same problem, the bike has great low to mid but it falls off beyond the midrange big time....its very annoying but I have been riding this way for the last two years and it would be nice if I had a clear solution, I fear that I have bought the wrong pipe and or the carb is too small. One thing that I found interesting was how much the pipe leaned the bike out, I went up a ton on main jets before the plug finally went to a brown condition on WOT cutoff.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…