04 to 05 RMZ250 changes...

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
The 40mm larger radiators and louvers off the 05 will bolt right up to the 04. The radiator shrouds are the same exact part on both years with different graphics.

If you use the larger 05 radiators, you must use a 05 exhaust as the radiator will touch the 04 head pipe. Mufflers are the same on both years.

The 04 and 05 head and cylinder have two 6mm bolts on the left side of the castings that have been flipped. So swap the head and cylinder as a set.

The 05 starter gear on the clutch basket is thicker walled than the 04. The caged needle bearing that goes between it and the mainshaft is also a new part (thinner). They will both fit directly on the 04 and were beefed up because of the common "gear tooth" breakage problems on the 04. Many times this also took out the right side center case. Clutch friction disc and springs have also been upgraded for 05.

The 05 seat is substantially taller and will fit the 04, it no longer is a gripper seat cover.

The 05 upper and lower triple clamps are beefed up castings. They use the same stem and will swap. They have the same offset aswell.

The 05 footpegs and frame mounting lugs are stronger. They are a different design and will not swap with the 04.

The ignition is different between the 04 and 05 as well. So the oem CDI or the Vortex do not cross-over. The 04 were having the flywheels come apart, and the 05 are a different part number. Early 05 parts are suspect already as well.

Some of the hardware including linkage bolts are higher quality on the 05.

The aircleaner was bone dry out of the crate. The intake boot clamp at the head has been found loose on some bikes. Check before your maiden voyage.

There have been some head gasket failures directly atributed to head bolts not being properly torqued from the factory. While a pain, I would check them on a brand new bike before riding. Torque is 36ft. lbs.

There is some difference in weld quality from one bike to another. I have one I wish I would not have brought home. It will be fixed before powder coating.

I read somewhere the airbox was different. They are the same, sidepanels and everything.

Definately try a couple needle positions if you have a runability issue near 1/4 throttle. They still come with a 40 pilot which is lean as well for many people.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Good stuff Mark, thanks. :cool:

B

biglou

Do you think (or know) if they are outsourcing their frames from China or Taiwan?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
The only identification I see sai's "manufactured by Kawasaki".

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
It's too bad that they didn't give it the same suspension as the KX250 two stroke. Maybe next year......

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Agree, thankfully we are running Showa works kits.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I like the idea of the new showas(sorry kybs;)) but i have found the std kxf stuff can work well, i remove the bladder and rb and find them a reasonable fork.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…