Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The seats in most aluminium cylinder heads are steel or alloy inserts that are press fit into the head and are then machined to the correct angles. In the case of this 2004 CRF250 the outer edges of the insert have sections that are broken away on both exhaust valve seats. Damage like this would require complete replacement of the valve seat inserts, which is a fairly involved machining process.

This is pretty common on old bikes with lots of hours on them where the valves get really hammered from wear or incorrect clearance, but I haven't really seen it happen on an engine this new. This is the first CRF250 that we've seen this happen on.

We've talked to a number of folks this week and it seems this problem might be a little more common than we originally thought. We aren't the only guys with a head like this in our shop. Time will tell how widespread this really is.

Here's the pics of the exhaust seats. You can see how the inserts on both exhausts have broken away up to the edge of the 45 degree angle on the seat.

I don't have an answer as to why other than maybe too tight a press fit during initial manufacture. I really don't know for sure.

If you don't live on the rev limiter the 05 head will produce a wider more rider friendly power curve due to it's smaller port area and the major change in the short side radius. The port approach to the valve is radically different on the 05 head. With some porting mods on the 05 head you can get some peak power back without killing off the new found torque. Most riders will like the 05 head better, but it's not for everyone. The changes to the 05 head are similar to what a lot of us were doing with the 04 heads when guys were looking for more torque and rideability. Using the 05 head is just a better way to accomplish the same goals without a bunch of epoxy filler in the port. So in a case like this where the valve seat insert will have to be replaced it's probably cheaper and easier to go with a 2005 CRF250 head.

Here's a few pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ericgorr.com/images/crf250_seat_crack_1.jpg

http://www.ericgorr.com/images/crf250_seat_crack_2.jpg

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Interesting Rich. I'll keep a look out for that. Thanks for the heads up, YZ165

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We are talking with Mike Perry from Kibblewhite about options for seat materials to go with their upcoming stainless steel valve kit for the CRF250. As soon as we have more info we'll pass it along.
As we figure out more about this issue in general I'll update this thread.

Last edited:

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Rich, is this your 04 head? If so have you had a chance to test an 05 head? I am curious simply because I have an 05 and as of yet, valves are in spec. Bike starts on the second kick and has nasty Tq. I am just curious if you know the 05 heads to be in fact better or just speculation which is the only reason I waited for an 05 for my thumper. I always wait till year two to get a new model because hopefully the growing pains are gone.

Top Bottom