b rag

Aug 19, 2009
Ok here's the deal guys, I'm about to buy my first bike a 05 KTM. Its a 250 EXC 2 Stroke, everything is stock and about 12 hours of riding on it. Here's were I need help I'm new to the sport and want to ride ktm, I'm unsure if this bike might be to powerful for me should i maybe look for something else in the ktm line of bikes. I'm 19 years old height 5`10 and weight about 150lbs. So thx for the help in advance guys

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '05 250EXC is a great trail bike with a very sweet engine that is about as beginner friendly as any 40+ hp dirt bike is going to be. It is not explosive or fierce like many 250 MX bikes, IMO.

My buddy had one and raced it successfully in the A class, but it is also suitable for less skilled rider. I almost bought his - very nice bike.

Since you want to ride KTM, your other likely choice would be the 200. It's a great bike, too, but it actually rewards and encourages a more agressive style. Both can be cruised around, but the '05 250 is pretty mellow (fast, but mellow power delivery, if that makes sense).

I think you will be fine with your choice. Due to your lack of experience, you should respect the power for sure, but you won't need to be upgrading the bike for a long long time.

b rag

Aug 19, 2009
Ok thanx your provided alot of insight for me, just one more question this is way later down the road thought. I will be getting into racing in the furture, and still will be riding ktm. Which bikes should i keep in mind as far as power and speed go? Thx

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What kind of racing?

Well, no matter what kind of racing, the rider is far more important than the bike.

For enduros, an '05 250 EXC is still a very competitive bike, IMO. My buddy raced his in Cross Country, and did well, but some riders prefer a close ratio gear box for cross country.

For MX, an '05 250 EXC is going to be at a disadvantage compared to true MX bikes, but would still be usable in the beginner and maybe novice class.

b rag

Aug 19, 2009
O ok I'm gonna be doing mx racing standard dirt track, no cross country like that. So its sounds like my ktm should do fairly well in the novice class.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Honestly, if your focus is strictly MX, you would better off on a MX specific bike.

While the EXC is a super woods bike, it is not a MX bike - that's not to say you wont have a blast on a MX track though. Dial in a bit more compression dampening front and rear though. For any use, be sure to set up the rear sag properly (go to ktmtalk.com - find the suspension forum, search for sag 2005). If you find you do lots of MX stuff, maybe stepping up on spring rates would be good idea (stock rear is 7.6, front .40 - maybe try 8.0 and .42? Though you are fairly light at 150... but something to consider. Up front, simply added some preload spacers might be enough for you.

You can do LOTS to fine tune the power delivery on that bike. New they come with 3 different power valve springs. Green - most newbie, and technical woods friendly - least agressive hit, Red - most hit in the power delivery, yellow - in between. Very quick to install. You can also adjust the power valve spring preload - again very quick and easy. Turn adjuster in to tame it down a bit, turn it out to make it a bit snappier.

Jetting - get it right! (again, great resource on KTM talk.) Different needles can make for more or less hit and snap in power delivery - NOZH is what I use now - more snap or hit. Other, straight taper needles have smoother power delivery.

SX Top end conversion - the time to do this is when the bike needs a new top end (with only 12 hours on it, it will be a while for you!) - buy a SX head (around $75 as I recall?), and SX piston and rings - (FYI - do NOT try SX piston without the head - higher dome on SX piston will hit the EXC head! bad stuff) so your only extra cost is the head beyond a normal top end. That combo ups compression - bike pulls harder from the bottom, and revs out better on top, yet still has a very woods friendly delivery.

Try a 52 tooth rear sprocket to (stock is 50). You loose some top end speed, but it will pull the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear much better. I found in some enduro races I wish I had the top end back though - so I now run a 51 tooth rear.

I run the SX conversion, red spring, adjustor out flush to case, NOZH (or is it I..i forget now) needle. Love the power delivery!

To find a 05 with only 12 hours on it is fantastic! I would love to find the same!

b rag

Aug 19, 2009
Wow thanx for information, I'm a noob when it comes to riding dirtbikes. So thanx for opening my mind up. I'm goin to do alot research

Top Bottom