05 Yz 85 No Bottom End

ZRICKIE

Oct 17, 2006
Last weekend we were at Turkey bay (LBL KENTUCKY)beautiful area and nice riding. This yz rips on the track, but we had to push and burn the clutch up the hills. It has 2 extra teeth on rear sprocket, v-force reeds,& SST FMF pipe on it. But we need more on the bottom end to keep from bogging up these hills. Thought about rising the compression ratio. What are my alternatives, What's the best bang for the buck? What are your thoughts and input? THANK-YOU MY SON WOULD LOVE YOUR INPUT

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Flywheel weight? A couple more teeth on the rear or 1 less in the countershaft.

These bikes aren't really made for trail riding. They are MX race bikes.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
85's don't have the torque to do large hills. You could try a flywheel weight but your only solution might be to put your son on a bigger bike.

Mavrick70004

Oct 17, 2006
i thought it was broken lol

My girlfriend actually has this problem on her 06 yz85 i thought something was wrong with it becuase i couldnt go up a simple hill without feathering the hell out of the clutch (givin im 180 lbs haha). I guess its supposed to be like this? once it hits the power band it hauls ass but just bogs at low rpms. should i get her a bigger sprocket if she is going to be riding trails?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
A flywheel weight will do nothing for the bottom end power. Weights don't add any power they just smooth out the hit and make the bike a little less apt to stall a slow speeds. Raising compression will help low end slightly but may require the use of race gas, depending upon how much you raise the compression. Raising the compression too much will actually hurt the top end too! The biggest way to gain bottom end is by going to a big bore set-up. But this may not be the best thing for your MX racing.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005

Try a:

48 Pilot jet
3.5 slide (stock KX85)
NAPE needle (stock KX85)
135 main

This will increase low end at the expense of top end.

Also try:

Advance timing to 1.2mm BTDC
Use a Phathead head w/two steps higher compression dome
Race fuel needed w/above

Again you will lose a little top end but gain low

Take one tooth off the front and add one on the back
Use the Steahly 9oz. flywheel weight.

Now go climb some hills.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…